I've recently been watching a lot of F1 videos by Finnishdude107 - YouTube who posts mostly onboard vids from the early 2000s era. I like the vids, but the more I read the comments the more I'm dumbstruck by the amount of morons who talk about that era like they were 'the good old days' when there were 'real drivers', 'real cars', 'real racing' and so much better than 2013.

It just made me realise how dumb nostalgia is and how much people love to put on their rose tinted glasses. What I remember from the early 2000s is people constantly complaining about how sh***y, skill-less (with traction/launch control, powerful but very easily driveable engines by F1 standards, and so much downforce the cars were virtually glued to the track at every moment), and boring it was with Schumacher leading most races from start to finish.

I also remember at the time people saying how much better the 90s were. But now I realise at the time of the 90s there were nostalgics bi***ing about how much better the 80s were, and 80s people the 70s and so on.

IMO, F1 at the moment is in a GREAT place, in amongst the best its ever been in its 60+ year history. There are a few downsides, but overall the racing is exciting and unpredictable, the field closer than ever, the driving field consisting of supreme talent, and a championship which will likely again go down to the last round. In the early 2000s i remember my mates bagging me out for watching such a sh***y boring sport. Now they actually want to talk about it because its gotten interesting once more.