Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    but I found the police tweeting that justice had won rather distasteful, he has been arrested as a suspect and now justice can start, however obvious it is that these guys were the bombers there is a legal process to go through to serve justice.
    Those police should be jubilant; after all, one of them had been killed--defenselss--sitting in his car the previous evening. Moreover, the perp and his scum bother had been lobbing explosives at police during the chase, and had explosives strapped to their persons. If I was a cop and knew I had to face instant annhilation, I might be just a wee bit overjoyed when the ordeal was over.

As for this punk getting justuice, that is the lunacy that is the American legal system. We're too nice. If there were any sincere, effective justice, he would be sentenced tomorrow rather than getting to benefit from years of legal tap dancing between teams of lawyers that will keep him out of the chair for 20 years.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Those police should be jubilant; after all, one of them had been killed--defenselss--sitting in his car the previous evening. Moreover, the perp and his scum bother had been lobbing explosives at police during the chase, and had explosives strapped to their persons. If I was a cop and knew I had to face instant annhilation, I might be just a wee bit overjoyed when the ordeal was over.

As for this punk getting justuice, that is the lunacy that is the American legal system. We're too nice. If there were any sincere, effective justice, he would be sentenced tomorrow rather than getting to benefit from years of legal tap dancing between teams of lawyers that will keep him out of the chair for 20 years.
    I agree with the first part of this post and all of you previous post and while I understand the emotion of the last part of your post, innocence until proven guilty still means that for me, especially with the several cases of people who spent considerable time in prison that were exonerated of the crimes they were convicted of through DNA test in the recent years. From what I've seen so far, I have no doubt that these 2 are responsible for the events of the past week. But that doesn't mean I want to suspend one of the cornerstones of our justice system for a quick hanging. Even if he is sitting around in prison for years, I suspect his time spent won't be pleasant. Even with convicts, these crimes won't be looked upon favorably.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    I don't doubt the police should be jubilant and very happy with what will be considered a success, despite the injuries of their own, but they have to understand their part in the process and uphold the justice system, to be better than those who would employ vigilante summary execution, and why i was disappointed with the phrases used on the Boston police's official Twitter feed

Sent from North Korea using the dark network
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here's an album of the standoff: boston ops - Imgur.

Also, here's a picture of the captured kid.

Lastly, a video of a Fed going above/over the call of duty.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harsha
    and not forget one particular Sunil Tripathy who was declared a terrorist by the media and the online community , i think the twitterati as well as reddit and similar sites need to introspect and realise the harm that would be done to the family and to the guy(if he's still alive) by accusing him of terrorism just cause you got a computer screen in front of you,
    A very good point and I am sure one that will be discussed in the aftermath of this episode.

Speculation as to the motives behind this act are meanless until facts emerge and I thought the online Witch hunt was trully shamefull and callous. Yet again, the Internet is used by single digit IQ idiots to persue mob rule. When will people learn to grow a bit of intelligence

I'm glad the perpetrators have been caught and hope this was just two disaffected individuals but time will tell.

I don't know if it was reported in the media but it was a nice gesture that flowers were laid at the gates of the US Embassy in Moscow immediately after the blast. Nice to know that sympathy against terrorism crosses borders.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Some very good posts above — and, I must say, the odd one whose justification of overly 'gung-ho' behaviour I find a bit concerning. I doubt the same would have been seen in a lot of other countries. Nor, I'm willing to bet, would the Czech Ambassador to any other country have been forced to issue a statement clarifying that the suspects were not from his country, but Chechnya.

Quote Originally Posted by DBell
    I agree with the first part of this post and all of you previous post and while I understand the emotion of the last part of your post, innocence until proven guilty still means that for me, especially with the several cases of people who spent considerable time in prison that were exonerated of the crimes they were convicted of through DNA test in the recent years. From what I've seen so far, I have no doubt that these 2 are responsible for the events of the past week. But that doesn't mean I want to suspend one of the cornerstones of our justice system for a quick hanging. Even if he is sitting around in prison for years, I suspect his time spent won't be pleasant. Even with convicts, these crimes won't be looked upon favorably.
    I certainly agree that the accused should be deemed innocent until proven guilty--and that there have been instances of prisoners being wrongly-accused--but this guy is clearly guilty. To that end there needs to be swift justice; that is, thrown in prison without the satisfaction of witnessing your notoriety played out in the media, no interviews by the media. Said prisoner never sees their family again, never enjoys media or "entertainment" of any kind (except, perhaps, books). FWIW, while I deplore the millions of taxpayer dollars spend on trials for clearly-guilty violent criminals, I do not believe in capital punishment.

I do realize, of course, that I'm merely dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I doubt the same would have been seen in a lot of other countries.
    I doubt that is true. Indeed, if the same had happened in another country, Americans would be celebrating on that country's behalf. We were quite elated (as was most of the rest of the world) that the Israeli forces raided Entebbe Airport and ended that week-long siege that targeted Jews.

I doubt that is true. Indeed, if the same had happened in another country, Americans would be celebrating on that country's behalf. We were quite elated (as was most of the rest of the world) that the Israeli forces raided Entebbe Airport and ended that week-long siege that targeted Jews.
    I can say with much certainty that the reaction in the vast majority of European countries would have been much less 'gung-ho'. I think we're less impressed by violence, even if the ends justify the means.

I certainly agree that the accused should be deemed innocent until proven guilty--and that there have been instances of prisoners being wrongly-accused--but this guy is clearly guilty.
    A very dangerous statement to make without being in possession of the full facts. There still needs to be due judicial process. Summary justice is all very well for uncivilised countries, but not somewhere like the US.

I appreciate your stance on the death penalty, though.