Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    The UK and US, to name but two, have women serving as front-line combat pilots.
    You are right about that, my thoughts went straight to the infantry, but yes, pilots are much more relevant to this discussion.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    old man old man losing his mind he was beaten by a woman driver
    Maria Teresa de Filippis is a former Italian racing driver noted as being the first woman to race in Formula One. She participated in five World Championship Grands Prix, debuting on 18 May 1958, but scored no championship points
    Maria Teresa de Filippis Belgian 15 Jun 1958 Maserati 19 10th place (Stirling Moss Belgian 15 Jun 1958 Vanwall 9 Ret) List of female Formula One drivers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    In truth, his view has been out of date for more than 30 years.
    Not the only dated opinion of his:

'I don't want a poofter to play me in a film': Sir Stirling Moss is embroiled in homophobia row after 'offensive' comments - Home News - UK - The Independent

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Exactly. No-one aware of how good she was in sportscars would ever deny Wilson's ability.
    I think there is a difference between having ability and whether it is enough to be competitive in F1, where it is primarily about out-and-out pace. For the people mentioning Mouton, I think it is a different scenario simply because you could beat your teammates by several minutes without actually being faster than them.

Is it really any different to someone claiming that women are inherently inferior to men in any other sports (which any comparison between male and female divisions of professional sport will demonstrate)?

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    It should be no surprise that an old man holds reactionary views about women. In fact, I wonder what value the BBC thought his perspective would bring when they asked him to contribute. Maybe they should have asked him why women don't have the aptitude for F1 when, as his late sister proved, they can for rallying.
    Totally this
    May the forza be with you

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingGears
    I think there is a difference between having ability and whether it is enough to be competitive in F1, where it is primarily about out-and-out pace. For the people mentioning Mouton, I think it is a different scenario simply because you could beat your teammates by several minutes without actually being faster than them...
    i'm not sure I understand this. Mouton won Plikes Peak outright and to do so she would have to be faster than any of her rivals. I don't follow rallying closely, but I am aware of her explots, and believe she was fastest on many occasions.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Women - in the kitchen !

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Does Stirling Moss not remember Michelle Mouton? One of the best rally drivers we've ever actually seen?

I'm sure some of you remember that I'm very much not a fan of Moss, however, it doesn't surprise me to see someone of his age come out with this sort of tripe. Sheds a light on a lot of the other rubbish he comes out with as well. I find him very inconsistent in his opinion as well, he tends to change it a lot.

Anyway, I believe women drivers can succeed in F1 and it is only a matter of time before the first woman driver does succeed in an F1 car. I am looking forward to this. Can you imagine how much more interest that will bring to the sport? The female audience will explode. It will be good days for F1 and whomever she will be shall deserve a lot of respect no matter how good or bad she is. Bring it on is what I say

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    Does Stirling Moss not remember Michelle Mouton? One of the best rally drivers we've ever actually seen?
    Oh, now let's not go too far. She wouldn't be in my top 20.