Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Stirling Moss - Women lack mental aptitude for F1

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    It would be interesting to hear Desire Wilson's views, as she has actually won a F1 race, though not mentioned by BBC Sport.
    Mentioning Danica Patrick as arguably the most successful woman currently racing, is just that. There has to be others who have won more than 1 professional race still competing.
    Simona de Silvestro won 4 times in Formula Atlantic if that counts as a professional series, there must be others.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    It should be no surprise that an old man holds reactionary views about women. In fact, I wonder what value the BBC thought his perspective would bring when they asked him to contribute. Maybe they should have asked him why women don't have the aptitude for F1 when, as his late sister proved, they can for rallying.

In truth, his view has been out of date for more than 30 years. Desire Wilson surely proved that a woman can mix it with the men if given a chance. While she didn't have the F1 World Championship opportunities she deserved, her pace in sportscars is enough for me.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    I'm sorry, but the British Formula One Series Desiree Wilson won a race in used second hand F1 cars and was not the worldwide, top level, F1 series.
    British Formula One Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Indeed that's a pretty stupid opinion.

Women can and have succeeded in motorsport already, and F1 will only be a matter of time.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem14
    I'm sorry, but the British Formula One Series Desiree Wilson won a race in used second hand F1 cars and was not the worldwide, top level, F1 series.
    British Formula One Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    None the less, Sir Sterling Moss is wrong.
    The pure statement is wins in F1 period; actually Moss probably is aware of Wilson's win, just ignored it. She also won in World Prototypes and at one point had a deal for a drive in WC F1 which fell through for various reasons, none of which was driving talent. Arguably she is one of the most successful woman drivers, certainly more so than D. Patrick, and that is the point.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Not having experienced what it takes to win in F1, I don't feel qualified to judge Moss' comments. History, the fact that to date, no female driver has successfully run a camapign in F1 speaks volumes IMO.

Personally, I think women have the mental capacity and the physical fitness for F1, but lack the killer instinct - unless of course you can run the season around her menstrual cycle in which case she'll wipe the floor with the men!!!!

Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    He's maybe guilty of making a mass generalisation as there are clearly some very talented women drivers out there but that said, I can kinda see where he's coming from on a general level. Admittedly I'm not the best passenger in the world, of all the women I've ever had the pleasure of being with in the passenger seat of a car there has only been one female who has not made me fearful or frustrated at all and want to beg to be allowed to take over driving duties. :/

On the other hand does anyone else think that most women probably lack the physical strength and stamina required for F1?
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    History, the fact that to date, no female driver has successfully run a camapign in F1 speaks volumes IMO.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Just because they are female does not mean it is the reason none have succeeded in F1.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Having read this article this morning I've resisted bringing it up in any of the threads. Stirling's opinion is out of date, but he's entitled to share it as anybody is. Opinions like this will always cause outrage in this day and age for obvious reasons. I can't think of anything else to say on this really?

I hope to see Susie next season on the grid. It would be nice to see her prove the doubters wrong.