Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've seen women win in drag racing and those cars have more power than F1 cars (albeit with fewer turns in a race)

[youtube]2-Q8f6bsfI0[/youtube]

I also recall hearing of a semi-successful woman racing at the grand prix level pre-WDC, but she was blacklisted after being accused of consorting with the Nazis.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    To add another along the drag racing greats....

Angelle Sampey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only a few NHRA Pro Stock Bike titles. I'm sure Stirling would say she distracted the male riders or something, so it can't be possibly based on skill or courage.

And just a note.... I've done some amateur bike drag racing, and though I never went much beyond mild builds, riding a bike with a fat drag style rear tire and a stretched wheelbase is an eye opener. I made a few slow passes on a friends bike and let's just say it adds a new dimension to how the bike changes direction. I had made sub 10 second runs on my bike (this back in the day when that was considered fast for a street legal bike... LOL) without issue. The first run I made on the real drag style bike I almost put it into the barrier, and I was only headed for a 12-13 second run.

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    Stupid stupid decision. Ask what male cops whose partners in work are women what they think about going to a dangerous situation with a woman. The same thing with armed forces.
    That would be an opinion endorsed by a lot of men that have sexist trains of thought. I've served with women in the Marines that were ultra fit, some teachers in things such as hand to hand combat, excellent shooters, and overall butt kickers in a military environment. From my experience a lot of women in the military seek to perform to a higher standard to overcome the stereotypes most often created by the sexist guys. The range record at Paris Island (Marine Corps boot camp) was held by a female Marine for quite some time. I've worked with women that I would not hesitate to walk into combat with. This doesn't apply to all women, but it didn't apply to all men either. I've worked with some guys that had the alpha personality type, fitness, and skills to be good Marines, but grossly lacked the mental toughness to be good at it.

When at my last command we went on a hump tough enough to make a good 10-12 very fit guys drop, including one that was on the Marine Corps rugby team. There was a woman who couldn't have weighed 90 lbs soaking wet that made it, and she was carrying a good 2/3 her body weight over those miles.

I've seen a lot of debate on women in combat roles, and as long as the standards aren't "dumbed down" I have no issue with it. The only legitimate concern I've ever seen stated was from Jesse Ventura (actor/politician/activist) who stated that many men who learned old school values might be inclined to protect women in dangerous situations, thus is could cause conflict in hostile military situations. But note that while I view his statement as probably very valid, it is a shortcoming of the males, not the females.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Excellent post above.

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Really? 1982 was the year in which she narrowly finished second to Röhrl, and in the last two rounds she retired because of an accident (Ivory Coast) and finished second (RAC) respectively.
    Yes seems I got my wires crossed hear lol. She started the rally knowing her dad had just died. It was his request that she started the rally and not come home. Im still positive ive got a video or a book at home, which saiz she went home. I will have to look.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    That would be an opinion endorsed by a lot of men that have sexist trains of thought. I've served with women in the Marines that were ultra fit, some teachers in things such as hand to hand combat, excellent shooters, and overall butt kickers in a military environment. From my experience a lot of women in the military seek to perform to a higher standard to overcome the stereotypes most often created by the sexist guys. The range record at Paris Island (Marine Corps boot camp) was held by a female Marine for quite some time. I've worked with women that I would not hesitate to walk into combat with. This doesn't apply to all women, but it didn't apply to all men either. I've worked with some guys that had the alpha personality type, fitness, and skills to be good Marines, but grossly lacked the mental toughness to be good at it.

When at my last command we went on a hump tough enough to make a good 10-12 very fit guys drop, including one that was on the Marine Corps rugby team. There was a woman who couldn't have weighed 90 lbs soaking wet that made it, and she was carrying a good 2/3 her body weight over those miles.

I've seen a lot of debate on women in combat roles, and as long as the standards aren't "dumbed down" I have no issue with it. The only legitimate concern I've ever seen stated was from Jesse Ventura (actor/politician/activist) who stated that many men who learned old school values might be inclined to protect women in dangerous situations, thus is could cause conflict in hostile military situations. But note that while I view his statement as probably very valid, it is a shortcoming of the males, not the females.
    Great post!