Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    L. W. Wright, Music City Racing, Talladega, May 1982

How's that for an obscure reference?
    one start and gone, no other histort whatsoever. quite funny, i was actually watching that Talladega race yesterday.

here's a couple JT Hayes and Steve Perry. both ran for Junie Donlavey. Hayes in the spring 1990 Rockingham race and Perry in the fall 1991 Dover event. Donlavey was one of the great independent owners and helped many a young driver's career but had his share of poor drivers. for shear number of starts and years in the sport with only one victory to show for it isn't the best of records.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The #88 NEMCO Motorsports car from the 2004 Busch Series. Bet Jeff Fuller was fuming that season.
    I solumly swear I'm up to no good :devil:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I would say Buckshot Jones would be one.

I would say Hut Stricklin was given WAY more time and race cars than his talent dictated, and there is no way in hell anyone should have put Shawna Robinson in a Cup car. Heck while we are on clueless, is there any doubt that Robby Gordon has to be the most egotistical driver with the least amount of justification for it out there? He isn't the worst driver, but he is by far the most overrated if you match what he thinks of his ability vs what it really is....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    AJ Allmendinger and Red Bull Racing.
    Champ Car World Series

FTG

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djarumdudley
    one start and gone, no other histort whatsoever. quite funny, i was actually watching that Talladega race yesterday.

here's a couple JT Hayes and Steve Perry. both ran for Junie Donlavey. Hayes in the spring 1990 Rockingham race and Perry in the fall 1991 Dover event. Donlavey was one of the great independent owners and helped many a young driver's career but had his share of poor drivers. for shear number of starts and years in the sport with only one victory to show for it isn't the best of records.
    Actually the reason I brought him up is because no one really knows who he (L. W. Wright) is/was. According to newspaper articles at the time, this guy showed up, talked his way into a NASCAR license, bought a car from Sterling Marlin with a check that later bounced, also bounced checks to Goodyear Tire and an auto parts company and despite all this, got on the track and qualified for the Winson 500 @ Talladega, and later just disappeared.

NASCAR had some egg on their face at the time, but it's just one of those weird things that happen.

On a side note, when I was a kid, there was no internet and not near the coverage of racing that there is now. I used to cut all and any article on racing out of the newspaper, and keep it in a notebook. That's where I went to look up this info, as I still have those notebooks. I knew this happened in May of 1982, so I started looking there, and I found the June 23 article about LW Wright.

Anyway, looking back through the lens of time, May-June 1982 was one of the most tragic times in recent Auto racing history. In those few short weeks Gilles Villeneuve, Gordon Smiley, and Ricardo Paletti would lose their lives. Later that summer on the same weekend in August, Indy 500 rookie of the year Jim Hickman was killed at Milwaukee. ARCA driver Gene Richards died at Talladega, and Hydroplane racer Dean Chenoweth was killed. To make matters worse Al Unser Sr's daughter died in a dune buggy accident. 1982 was harsh, and things have really come a long way since then.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I would say Buckshot Jones would be one.

I would say Hut Stricklin was given WAY more time and race cars than his talent dictated, and there is no way in hell anyone should have put Shawna Robinson in a Cup car. Heck while we are on clueless, is there any doubt that Robby Gordon has to be the most egotistical driver with the least amount of justification for it out there? He isn't the worst driver, but he is by far the most overrated if you match what he thinks of his ability vs what it really is....
    Robby though is only a single car team and hes trying to beat Multi-car team powerhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fan
    AJ Allmendinger and Red Bull Racing.
    AJ was good in a OW car, but hes still adjusting with a Brand new team, so I can't say they are the worst team as Vickers did give RBR two top 15's already this year
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Harvick, if you had met the same guy I have seen a few times when he raced Champ Car and ran in SCCA Trans AM with Roush, you would not be so quick to point out his record as a team owner. The fact he is a team owner is partially because no one can TELL him a damned thing. He ran Indy one year as a one off when he was racing in NASCAR and it was part of the contract he had with Sabates that he get that ride. Apparently Felix was shocked at what a jerk Robby was when he was at Indy and how he conducted himself. What is more, the team hired to run the effort was just barely tolerating the guy because Robby was the "boss" and he wouldn't take any constructive criticism, much less any ideas from anyone. His talent is great but his talent negates so much that in the end, he is the worst waste of talent and a ride right now...although Mikey Waltrip seems bent on being a bigger failure....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RaceFanStan
    I wish someone would send me a PM or email me & explain to me what happened with Rosie.
    Several of the female mods are missing & no-one has offered a reason why.
    Any mention of the missing people is ignored & we trudge along without them.
    I want them to know they are missed & their absense is noticed by several of us.

This post may self-destruct & disappear without notice ......
    Ditto here too
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

I get pissed at Robby Gordon a lot, too, but he is far from being the worst driver out there...He is an awsome talent, can flat out drive the wheels off a race car (Johnny Sauter is a similar driver). The problem with BOTH of them is that they seem to regularly fail to use their heads and put themselves into situations that cause wrecks, then they point the finger at everyone else.

I'd have to say other than Buttsnot Jones, one needs to look no farther than John Andretti. Talking about cashing in on a name.

Here's one for Muggles Trivia thread. Name 10 Races (Cup and Busch) that John Andretti was in during his career that he DIDN'T wreck in (and to make it harder, you may NOT mention his win at Martinsville).

I cant remember 2, so I probably won't win this question
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slorydn1
    I
    I'd have to say other than Buttsnot Jones, one needs to look no farther than John Andretti. Talking about cashing in on a name.

Here's one for Muggles Trivia thread. Name 10 Races (Cup and Busch) that John Andretti was in during his career that he DIDN'T wreck in (and to make it harder, you may NOT mention his win at Martinsville).

I cant remember 2, so I probably won't win this question
    He won at Daytona in the July race so there's one
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?