Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Having checked this thread and the others relating to Webber of late, I am yet to find anybody on this forum that has gone on the record to say Webber is 'great' and in the same talent league as Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton. Webber is at a disadvantage where age is concerned and he is in a team where the focus is very much on his younger, talented, multiple WDC team mate of course. I don't know if we've got our wires crossed here, but I got the impression there was more the view Webber didn't deserve his Red Bull seat than people actually trying to suggest he's arguably the best. I think the top tier in the sport has Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton, with the likes of Button, Webber, Rosberg, Massa etc occupying the tier below. I only really base my opinion there on the consistency of their performances, but on their day they can be unbeatable. Nico is on course to proving himself now he has a car capable of consistent podiums, so we'll see him being talked about more often hopefully.
    It's not whether he deserves his seat or not, but the fact that he is almost always so far away from Vettel that bugs me. And yet people keep saying he is "very good".
    If you compare this with the post-accident Massa, he's much better. But not as good as Button, Rosberg still unproven; which is why I try to take a step back and compare him with the drivers that I do.

I have even said many times that we can't even assess Vettel's abilities while he has the best car or a team mate not in the top tier.

I think over the last few years we have had the greatest talent pool we have ever seen in F1. And I think most drivers on the grid would be able to match Webber. (Not particularly this year)

Webber = solid #2, nothing more.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I get the impression you are splitting hairs over the use of the term 'very good'. Most people here would agree he's a solid number two driver, but to get where he is today he also has to be very good. He's quite a bit older than the current crop of top drivers and yet he has won 9 races. You have to be 'very good' in order to extract the potential out of any car so on that basis I say Webber is very good but inconsistent over the course of a whole season. I'm struggling to see what we are debating here now to be honest.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Indeed I do think this is a matter of our personal culture and attitude as we are talking about semantics here.

When I am talking about F1 drivers, I am used to describing most of them as „good“, at least. Because, well, they are. It is not about destroying the opposition, but being competitive. And most of them are. Of course they are all different and have their weaknesses, some of them notable ones so that they do not exactly stand out.

But nonetheless they can give a run for the money of other drivers, outrace their top-notch team-mates on occasions – in short, be competitive, get points, podiums, even wins in the right car. Or, god forbid, challenge for the championship in the right circumstances.

When I recall the likes of Yoong, Ide or the 2009 version of Badoer, then whenever you see them on track, you are instantly reminded, how good the competitive F1 drivers really are. And it takes a mountain to climb to reach that level.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Mark Webber coy over prospects of leaving F1 for Porsche LMP1 deal - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com
    Webber said on Saturday that it is too early in the season to be considering his options for 2014.
    "I've never made any decisions on my future in March or April," Webber told reporters in the Sakhir paddock.
    "As you'd expect, with what I've done as a driver, there could be other offers and opportunities.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faster69
    webber beat every teammate up until vettel.
    Really? This is just one of those urban legends the internet is full of.
    I don't remember him besting Heidfeld who had more points then Webber by the time he had his 'bike accident' and had to leave Williams.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Really? This is just one of those urban legends the internet is full of.
    I don't remember him besting Heidfeld who had more points then Webber by the time he had his 'bike accident' and had to leave Williams.
    How dare you dazzle the man with facts ?
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю