Thread: Record Pit stop

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts

Record Pit stop

Everybody knows, by now, about RBs record stop in Malaysia. A hair over 2 seconds is pretty amazing, yet what seems more impressive is how much they have actually gained over their average time before. The improvement is around a half second and other teams have taken notice.

I read an interesting article that talked about this. It didn't seem like the RB boys where just having a good day in Malaysia, since they consistently showed an impressive time (5 of the 6 stops).

Just how did they improve so drastically?

It appears that the teams are quick to hide the airguns after each stop. All guns are made by Italian make Paoli, yet can be specially modified for teams by request. Most teams run their guns up to 30Bar, yet RBs may run as high as 40.

Another time saver is the switching from one direction to the other (reverse for take off and forward for mount). If the switching can happen electronically vs mechanically, that would help shave some time.

Another concept has to do with mounting/ centering the new wheel right before it is fastened. One of the tire guys can sometimes get into the way of the one reinstalling the wheel. Observers are noticing that the RB guys are just slinging the wheels on from a side position, suggesting perhaps a centering device on the wheel itself or the hub.

Either way, as a mechanic myself, i find this pretty interesting, since i use airtools regularly. Teams spend tons of money on racing technology to win and little differences in innovation often make or break a team. Remember how Vettel won last year by just three points.

For those that speak German, here's the article: Technik-Tricks: Das Geheimnis der Red Bull-Boxenstopps - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    This is one thing I don't like about F1... everything is now measured in microwhatever... soon enough when one sneezez... @@@@ it, let's pack it and go home

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Hard to say what their trick is, but we certainly can't rule out a better training program and more practice either. Take a look at NASCAR and the time differences between teams can be very large. Even if there is nothing (legal) left to gain with the equipment, the right team attitude and overall program have big influences.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    It is mighty impressive. The aim would be for a record sub 2 second stop.

Whether that is possible I am not sure, but I think RB are likely the only ones up to it at the moment.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've recorded a 1.9 but thats with the car up and just changing the wheel and tapping out before the clock is stopped. However, that was with the 2 wheel changers being amatures and standard air guns.

That is a very quick time from Red Bull and it wont be long before the 2 second barrier is broken I think.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    hat's pretty bloody impressive - it's hard to imagine this process getting much faster, though. The sheer physical act of removing and replacing a wheel and tyre - regardless of the electronic wizardry and pneumatic thingies - would need to approach super human. Still, this aspect of F1 is almost as interesting as the actual race - there should be a comp for the change teams with a big firetrucking prize at the end of the season.