Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Despite the excellent provenance this film undoubtedly enjoys, 'Senna' has opened my eyes to how well a documentary film can function in telling a dramatic story to the extent that I'd much prefer to see similar treatment of the Hunt/Lauda story, limited footage permitting, of course.
    Although I enjoy a good F1 documentary and the Senna film was most enjoyable, thankfully we have a director who has tried something different, something harder to achieve. It'll appeal further than the geeks among us and hopefully it'll be one of the first good racing movies.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    The guy playing Lauda looks the part, not sure about "Hunt", he looks a bit too Hollywood to me. I'm going to see this. The last racing movie I've seen is Driven, so this cannot be worse than that .
    He certainly doesn't! but Chris Hemsworth does. The accents feel like bad impersonations which is the danger with these kinds of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Despite the excellent provenance this film undoubtedly enjoys, 'Senna' has opened my eyes to how well a documentary film can function in telling a dramatic story to the extent that I'd much prefer to see similar treatment of the Hunt/Lauda story, limited footage permitting, of course.
    It was an attempt but flawed for the enthusiast to warrant the film as a piece of historical document. At worst its a glorified YT fan video.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    As a result the film goes into the novel "Senna good - Prost bad" mentality.
    At its most simplest it is arguably so but the rivalry was complex.

1989 San Marino GP got a passing mention - it just a pivotal moment and I can argue more so than the crashes that came later. It also exposes the flaw of the film in that its aftermath wasn't played behind the camera unlike say this year's Malaysian GP.

As far as I remember the film justified Japan 1990 with no counter-argument whatsoever.
    Doesn't really need it. The crash itself is enough. I think most who have seen or heard of it would not know the context.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    BBC Radio 4 - Hunt/Lauda

[youtube]c19DqS127Ac[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Its always tough to make a realistic and accurate sports film. Most sports films I have watched I have not been that impressed by (taking out Senna, which was more a documentary)

I will be interested to see how this goes.
    Grand Prix (1966) - IMDb

Le Mans (1971) - IMDb

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    I have several problems with the film 'Senna' as a benchmark documentary.

Mainly, the film heavily features the simplistic and one-sided opinions of John Bisignano to tell a factual story. As a result the film goes into the novel "Senna good - Prost bad" mentality. As far as I remember the film justified Japan 1990 with no counter-argument whatsoever.
    I actually agree with this, and I'm a big Senna fan. Note the signature!

I cringed a little at how how 'Senna good, Prost bad' the film was. Loved the movie, but a more rounded approach to two incredible drivers would have been nice.
    Ayrton Senna, Legend. R.I.P.

\"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. Because we are competing. We are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for a victory. It is not to come third, fourth, fifth or sixth. I race to win\".

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    I'm sure I will enjoy this film, though all my life I've felt a movie about the Prost-Senna dynamic would be better: two outstanding drivers at different points in their careers, with different approaches, different temperments, different cultures, from different continents-- but in the same team. The potential for intra-team conflict would be a terrific subplot. Writers could make use of the Pironi-Villeneuve dust-up and tragic aftermath as a bit of foreshadowing.

The movie in my head would have a Hollywood ending, with Prost quitting soon after Senna's death, abandoning his goal of a WDC mid-season, with his worthiest challenger now gone.

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    I'm still not really sure why people make a song and dance about this whole Lauda / Hunt thing. They were big mates, it's not like they were deadly rivals. But I'm still keen to see this movie, although I'm sure somethings will be a bit overdone. Driven was seriously overdone so it can't be worse than that. Grand Prix was pretty good, although it must have been amazing at the time of release. I'm ashamed to say I've never seen Le Mans.

With Grand Prix I still remember an interview with Phil Hill where he said, no, Ferrari didn't have a black flag with a prancing horse on it to signal drivers to return to the pits because of a fatal accident as shown in the movie, but it might not have been a bad idea at the time!

As for the Senna movie, it really disappointed me, it just felt like some over the top fan had got hold of the script, they never dealt with any of the controversies properly, Prost or otherwise, and never showed the two sides to the story.

Actually I'm still waiting for someone to make a movie about 1982...
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion: