Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    May the forza be with you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Up until now I still can't seem to get what the DRS for as shown in the picture above this. I know its to promote overtaking by aerodynamic drag reduction, but I cant relate it to the track and the purpose. Is it a safety feature to make the drivers aware that overtaking is better done here or is it a mediating factor to all the other drivers?

I may be wrong, and I'm not 100% sure I'm answering your question, but I think that it is because it combines three elements that make this a good choice (as DRS locations go). It is on the second half (roughly) of the fastest straight, (see speed trap location) which allows cars to draft and reach close to terminal speed before deploying DRS. It ends right at the breaking point to turn #1 which means that the DRS systems will close at the end of the DRS zone by simply breaking, and finally it is the part of the track that has the most spectators.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alca-Tazizzle
    I may be wrong, and I'm not 100% sure I'm answering your question, but I think that it is because it combines three elements that make this a good choice (as DRS locations go). It is on the second half (roughly) of the fastest straight, (see speed trap location) which allows cars to draft and reach close to terminal speed before deploying DRS. It ends right at the breaking point to turn #1 which means that the DRS systems will close at the end of the DRS zone by simply breaking, and finally it is the part of the track that has the most spectators.
    OK thanks, I still cant get the purpose. I'm not that technical though.Lol. Maybe what I'm asking is does it give any advantage to drivers to overtake or how they perform in the race? I'm asking this because what I read is that it promotes "overtaking", and somehow all I read in forums is that it loses the competitive aspect of the sport, making it unexciting. I still cant comprehend which is true.

Chinese try to Blind/kill The Boss with noxious gas.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alca-Tazizzle
    He will be fine come tomorrow no doubt, he's a fit chappy.

Mercedes have a good chance here, so here's to a one two for them. Obviously without team orders this time!!

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerdude
    OK thanks, I still cant get the purpose. I'm not that technical though.Lol. Maybe what I'm asking is does it give any advantage to drivers to overtake or how they perform in the race? I'm asking this because what I read is that it promotes "overtaking", and somehow all I read in forums is that it loses the competitive aspect of the sport, making it unexciting. I still cant comprehend which is true.
    Basically it allows the driver to open a flap on the rear wing within the DRS-Zone. That reduces aerodynamic drag for the car nd gives higher top speed than the car in front. In essence it gives an artificial advantage to the car behind and allows for relatively easy overtaking, which is why some people consider it too artificial.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    In adition to DJ's description.. Without DRS- Imagine driver B is faster than the car in front but can't get close enough to make the pass because his aerodynamics are adversely affected by the 'dirty' air from the car in front. With DRS- Once activated by race control after 2-3 laps DRS somewhat negates this and allows driver B to get past if he can get to within 1 second by the DRS activation zone. Once past driver B can then pull away and stay out in front if he can pull out a 1 second + lead before the DRS zone on the next lap... or be passed again by driver A.

I've nothing against DRS itself, it's necessary because of Aero and I see it as the lesser of the two evils... but combine it with the very fragile 'joke' tyres that deteriorate very quickly unless treated with great care and you are left with very artificial strategic racing, it's effectively endurance racing... not what F1 should be about in my opinion.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I think you seem to have a good grasp of the system and the intentions behind it. As stated by Zico above, it's more a matter of whether it makes the sport artificial or not.

For many years engineers spent a great deal of effort making sure that the "dirty air" created in the wake of the car made it next to impossible to overcome the disruption on the following cars aerodynamics. A number of rules changes lessened this effect, but it was still very hard to pass even a slower car. So it was not uncommon to see an obviously faster car and driver combination catch up to a can in front, but often not be able to pass.

I personally think that used properly DRS has it's place in the sport. Prior to DRS it had reached a point where aero games could keep the obviously quicker cars moving through the pack stuck behind a car in front.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    The soft tires were absolutely ridiculous in FP2. The race could become a real farce. They practically disintegrated after like two laps :S
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю