Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I read that 'The RAC' was the biggest single spectator event in the UK. Back in the day it was massive, everyone, even people who had no interest in rallying otherwise had heard of the RAC. Ask anyone but rally fans now, they wouldn't have any idea.
    Ask a lot of motorsport enthusiasts whether they care about the event these days, and I'm sure the response would be similarly negative.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Ok, so any guesses as to which venues are in the frame? Is Trentham too far east? As far as I can see the number of suitable locations actually within the principality is zero so have the Welsh Assembly accepted that the event must cross into England to regain its appeal?
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nornbugger
    I wish them well, but I think they are 10 years too late in wakening up, this event used to be huge, the media couldnt ignore it, and that was even before the wonderful days of the McRae/Burns era. It seems hard to take in how the giant was reduced to a mouse by IMO organisational arrogance. Again IMO rallysport in the UK as a whole has lost out with the decline in stature of GBs WRC event.

I only missed the event once in the 90s and 03 was my last year at the event, I used to plan my holidays and work around getting to the event.
    Now I plan my spectating around cheap flights, warmer climates(optional) and more welcoming organisers . Its a shame that one of the best events in the WRC had for a time such a poor attitude to fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Ask a lot of motorsport enthusiasts whether they care about the event these days, and I'm sure the response would be similarly negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Wait until the ticket prices are announced - then we will know if they are serious about saving the event. They have to attract the 'casual' Motorsport fan - will he/she pay £20 to stand in a forest/ field???
    Well i think when they are charging £100 for a spectator pass they killed the last bit of life in it - a bit like the the British Rally Championship they killed that as well with entries fees of £1200 + , twelve entries they had for the last round in 2013 The Trackrod Rally which was a day event and as i said i think the entry fee was £1200 ... They should all go out to France and be educated on Rallying and see how to run events and attract spectators . They say that the UK is the home of Motorsport ? well it might have been one time but the Rallying section has moved on the Ferry across to France

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    Ok, so any guesses as to which venues are in the frame? Is Trentham too far east? As far as I can see the number of suitable locations actually within the principality is zero so have the Welsh Assembly accepted that the event must cross into England to regain its appeal?

no. must be in wales. errdig,chirk castle,boddelwyden,powis castle all linked.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go mads
    no. must be in wales. errdig,chirk castle,boddelwyden,powis castle all linked.
    Well there in lies the rub - none of them have ever been used in the past and I don't buy MN's analysis of their suitability. Certainly not National Trust properties because the NT council is made up of people unlikely to want the Brum Manc and 'Pool populations (supposedly being targetted) from polluting their parish. The whole point of the stately home runs is that people DONT have to travel on the, less than copious, roads into the Welsh hinterlands.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    It being sponsored by 'Wales' and entirely in Wales doesn't help. I've heard many news outlets refer to it as "The Wales Rally"
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
    I think they have lost the plot years ago, i do not think they are actually targeting the right people in trying to attract new spectators from the major cities of Manchester, Liverpool, etc , yes if they charge the usual high price they may make some money to cover the costs, but in the long term they gain nothing for the future of the sport and will be once a year spectators.
    They should be trying to attract the people they have lost over the years, the real enthusiasts who love the sport anyway, get them back and they will bring back a few mates or younger relations who are interested and are the potential future of the sport, these are the people that pack the forests for events like the Roger Albert Clark Rally etc.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    It being sponsored by 'Wales' and entirely in Wales doesn't help. I've heard many news outlets refer to it as "The Wales Rally"
    Exactly!! What is Wales Rally GB?? Is it Rally of Wales? The Welsh Rally..?? You didn't have to be a Rallyfan to know what the RAC Rally was. One of the car mags were giving tickets away to the Welsh Rally..

The deal between IMS and the Welsh Assembly might suit both parties - but is it in the sport/ events best interests? I'm not convinced....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    But they might as well call it the Rally of Wales, as that's where it is...
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    Well there in lies the rub - none of them have ever been used in the past and I don't buy MN's analysis of their suitability. Certainly not National Trust properties because the NT council is made up of people unlikely to want the Brum Manc and 'Pool populations (supposedly being targetted) from polluting their parish. The whole point of the stately home runs is that people DONT have to travel on the, less than copious, roads into the Welsh hinterlands.
    This is a very good point. I fundamentally believe the event will never recapture any of its past glories until it is held over a significantly longer route, not restricted to Wales.