Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Silly Season

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    Yes, Mark, I agree about TUBS being written off with high-speed crashes. My point was that there are a lot of small one-corner-knocked-off crashes on street courses than ovals. If you knock a corner off, it's $50-100,000. So, 3-6 corners equals one tub or total. There are MANY more of those corners than tubs on concrete canyons.
    $50 to 100k to replace a nose, upper and lower arms? We're not talking F-1 here.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would have to believe that a crashes an ovals would still be more expensive for one reason not said here. Usually racing on ovals and close quarters will result in multiple cars receiving damage. On a street circuit, the possibility of involving more than 2 cars at most is small. On an oval, a wreck in the middle of the pack can involve several cars, causing much more collateral damage. I know I strayed from the core matter, so I'll go creep back into my cave
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    More than 2 cars bb? How many cars did Dominguez involve in that turn 1 incident at Long Beach. At least the DP01's will have starters. It's a bit off topic but new teams have to have the check book to race in a predominantly oval series. Damage does take a big bite out of their operating budget. What is a typical deductible these days, $45k?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Faster the accident, the greater the damage. Where are the high speeds? More on the ovals over 200mph, then on a street course where many of the corners are below 100mph. Regardless of the nature of the damage, A arms, halfshafts whatever, the potential damage is higher on an oval, hence the higher cost of damage. If I remember correctly, a thread on this topic was debating the cost of ovals in CART because of the potential for higher costs when teams were trying to control costs. I suspect it may be a factor in keeping the CCWS out of ovals right now actually......
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Faster the accident, the greater the damage. Where are the high speeds? More on the ovals over 200mph, then on a street course where many of the corners are below 100mph. Regardless of the nature of the damage, A arms, halfshafts whatever, the potential damage is higher on an oval, hence the higher cost of damage. If I remember correctly, a thread on this topic was debating the cost of ovals in CART because of the potential for higher costs when teams were trying to control costs. I suspect it may be a factor in keeping the CCWS out of ovals right now actually......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grungex
    $50-100K for a street race corner crunch is not realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    Go ask a team.
    I did.

A pair of front wishbones and a track rod (the items usually damaged in a street race shunt) for a Lola will run you under $6K. If the front wing is destroyed beyond salvage (and that's a big if, because, in the type of crash under discussion, more often than not a knocked off wing is easily repaired), you're talking a bit over $25K.

Panoz DP-01 bits are a lot cheaper, wishbones and track rod will run you a little over $3K, front wing $16K.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ...isn't this the silly season thread? or are we discussing car parts?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Fine, grungex, I accept your research. And yes, Mark, oval "hits" create more damage, but there are fewer of them.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weeflyonthewall
    More than 2 cars bb? How many cars did Dominguez involve in that turn 1 incident at Long Beach. At least the DP01's will have starters. It's a bit off topic but new teams have to have the check book to race in a predominantly oval series. Damage does take a big bite out of their operating budget. What is a typical deductible these days, $45k?
    LOL, I guess I forgot about "The Dominguez Factor". I remember his win in Australia had "The Big One" too. I'd still think that an accident with 5 cars running together on an oval in close quarters could cause more damage than CC's going into a tight turn on a street course. Before anyone says it, yes, I remember Long Beach last year too. That one hurt wallets across the board
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    IC....ya...I wouldn't want to see as many accidents on the ovals as there are on street courses....good lord it would get ugly, AND expensive....