Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Silly Season

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    weefly, they don't knock corners off at concrete canyons?
    Besides running much slower, concrete canyons have a lot of tire walls and run-offs to minimize damage or did you conveniently forget.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A knocked-off corner is a knocked-off corner and there are VERY few runoffs at concrete canyons, they are extremely tight so any wheel-to-wheel contact on an attempted pass is likely to wall one car, the other or both and just how many full-course cautions do you see on a street course because they crash in dangerous areas?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't remember the last time an accident got all FOUR corners...in either series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Brack and Briscoe? Legge at Road America last year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Okay, good points, weefly......wasn't thinking of flips, just of general wallpoppers, but you're right......

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Hey, I figure tubs get cracked beyond repair hitting things at 180 to 220 mph.....no one gets that kind of speed up on a street race and hits much....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    You've forgotten Krosnoff at Toronto.
    and Clay Regazzoni at Long Beach in '80.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    No, but for every Krosnoff and Regga, how many serious injuries or death's are there on ovals? My point was/is that tubs get a lot more stress in accidents on ovals. No one needs to remind me of the horror of Krosnoff's wreck, I was there!

I do NOT appreciate people insinuating I don't know what I am talking about. Hell boys, it is an opinion factory, not a court of law. It is MY opinion that tubs on ovals are more likely to be written off than crashes on street tracks. For every wreck like Krosnoff's, there are 100 where the corners are damaged a little. Smacking a wall at 160 or better which is better than half of the IRL accidents is going to tear up more than one corner, sometimes all four and crack tubs...you disagree? Fine....that is your right, but common sense dictates otherwise. I watch the IRL, I just don't talk about it....just as I watch CCWS street races, and if they don't wreck more tubs on the IRL, then those Dallara's are tougher than an old steak....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    It is MY opinion that tubs on ovals are more likely to be written off than crashes on street tracks.
    I'd say your opinion is pretty much fact.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, Mark, I agree about TUBS being written off with high-speed crashes. My point was that there are a lot of small one-corner-knocked-off crashes on street courses than ovals. If you knock a corner off, it's $50-100,000. So, 3-6 corners equals one tub or total. There are MANY more of those corners than tubs on concrete canyons.