Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly Season

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    True, Starter, but say a team could get a used Dallara roller for $75-100,000 and an engine lease from Honda comparable to Cosworth compared to $300,000 for a NEW car with CC to go racing, when you talk about backups and the like, there's a difference in cost this year to go racing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Agree, but it's probably a half-million dollar item-plus for a couple cars and spares. For a smaller team, that's pretty good-sized dollars.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I suspect unless they get a driver who brings a sponsor, they don't have the dough to even start the season in theory. Yet another victim of the open wheeled wars....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My guess

Penske: Hornish, Castroneves
    Ganassi: Wheldon, Dixon
    AGR: Kanaan, Andretti, Franchitti, Patrick
    Panther: Matsuura, Meira
    Rahal: Sharp, Simmons
    Foyt: Manning
    Vision: Scheckter, Carpenter, Foyt
    Cahill: Mitrisin, Duno
    D&R: Fisher? Rice? Camara?
    Fernandez: Chesson?
    The only thing that doesn't lie in racing is the stopwatch. (Derek Daly)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetch
    My guess

Penske: Hornish, Castroneves
    Ganassi: Wheldon, Dixon
    AGR: Kanaan, Andretti, Franchitti, Patrick
    Panther: Matsuura, Meira
    Rahal: Sharp, Simmons
    Foyt: Manning
    Vision: Scheckter, Carpenter, Foyt
    Cahill: Mitrisin, Duno
    D&R: Fisher? Rice? Camara?
    Fernandez: Chesson?
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Rice stopped by R-L and picked up his old seat and dropped it off at D&R?

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    True, Starter, but say a team could get a used Dallara roller for $75-100,000 and an engine lease from Honda comparable to Cosworth compared to $300,000 for a NEW car with CC to go racing, when you talk about backups and the like, there's a difference in cost this year to go racing.
    I thought for 2007, the Honda lease alone was almost $900,000. Have they gotten it down lower than that for the coming season?

If that's in the ballpark, the CCWS lease (chassis, engine and tires) for $1 million, would seem to be a pretty cost effective way to go.

My guess is the IRL will begin announcing a lease deal soon. There are already apparently some "lease" deals in in the IRL. But my guess is, they'll make them more formal (and public) fairly soon.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Jag, I think there were lease deals in the IRL at the start back in the '90s with the new cars and I think there are probably lease deals plus "you-break-it-you-fix-it" deals between regular series teams and one-offs for Indy, in addition to whatever the engine lease might be (that was reported to drop dramatically for Indy one-offs last year).

An IRL deal for a used roller being less, the engine lease being a little more and tires probably the same might make the deals pretty comparable. I hadn't heard the $900,000 figure from Honda before. Only thing I'd heard was "less than a million," so I don't know any more about that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    The car & motor are the smaller parts of a season. Spares, tires, crew, transporter, travel costs, shop, etc. etc. make up the larger part. Those would be more or less equal across both series. So, basically, the only place the IRL has a (cost) leg up is the chassis itself - assuming a used one of course.
    Spares have always been a bigger part of the budget, especially on ovals. You can lose three corners quickly. Without ovals, CC has put itself in a much better operating cost position. In a new chassis year that is very important, it will mean less shortages of critical parts, even cheap ones that were initially overlooked.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    weefly, they don't knock corners off at concrete canyons?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds like they will scrape the 18 together - maybe even 20 overall if Cahill is for real.
    Indycar is back!