Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    yeah. that's the solution!
    ridiculous

not to mention not even understanding the mitigation circumstances, or worse yet knowing them, but being deliberately ignorant and misquoting senna, who himself used radio and had team orders the entire time Berger was his teammate.

and while we are at it, lets get rid of those pesky pit wall boards too. A "real" driver should be able to know what's going on with his car, and read the fuel gauges and hydraulic systems, understand front wing damage, figure out his pit stop strategy, know which driver is closing in on him and what the gaps are, read the weather reports, etc, all while zooming around at 150mph
    ridiculous
    truefan haha tru idiot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Well, Bontebempo normally comes out with rubbish but she might have a point here.

You need telemetry as a driver might have a developing, potentially dangerous problem that he needs to box for. If a car has a serious problem, the team can tell Charlie who will get on the blower and order them in. The team will need to provide Charlie with an output of that Telemetry to prove they are not manipulating races.

A driver can have a Pit button that notifies a team that they need to box for tyres or a nose etc but apart from that, they rely on Pit Boards.

They can decide the strategy before the race but are limited in comms during the race. If a driver is running low on fuel, the team need to put it on a board in plain English. Standard boards and no codes.

This will hand a lot more decision making back to the driver and I think make it more 'real'.
    And you too normally reply with nonsense but this time you actually see the light!!

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I have mentioned a few times on here that many fans sometimes base their entire opinion's on teams and drivers based on what they hear from pit radio snippets. Removing radio would certainly force viewers to use a little more intelligence when analysing situations we see on the TV rather than forming idle assumptions IMO. There are pro's and con's so perhaps it could be tried (again)?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    yeah. that's the solution!
    ridiculous

not to mention not even understanding the mitigation circumstances, or worse yet knowing them, but being deliberately ignorant and misquoting senna, who himself used radio and had team orders the entire time Berger was his teammate.

and while we are at it, lets get rid of those pesky pit wall boards too. A "real" driver should be able to know what's going on with his car, and read the fuel gauges and hydraulic systems, understand front wing damage, figure out his pit stop strategy, know which driver is closing in on him and what the gaps are, read the weather reports, etc, all while zooming around at 150mph
    ridiculous
    It seems you are the ridiculous one here. Its my opinion and i will stick with it. Rather than reacting in an immature way try to respect the opinion of others without resorting to name calling.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bontebempo
    It seems you are the ridiculous one here. Its my opinion and i will stick with it. Rather than reacting in an immature way try to respect the opinion of others without resorting to name calling.
    what name did I call you?
    and who is the one being immature?
    lol

get a grip
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK, OK. Calm down a bit.

I saw a thread started and suddenly it explodes as if what Bonte suggested was akin to shooting fluffy bunny rabbits???

Can we debate it sensibly on the pro's and cons's?

Q. What have the Romans, er, I mean radios, ever done for us?

Are they necessary?

Does it just allow teams to control races a lot more accurately from the Pit Wall rather than the Driver racing his own race more?

Is there a safety issue in banning radios and if so, can it be got around?

What positives do radios bring to the sport?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I don't think radios do any harm. However they can do without all the telemetry etc. It's one of those things teams spend a fortune on just because everyone else does. Eliminate it and you get rid of a massive cost, without making much difference.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some Telemetry might be necessary but I can see why it can be switched off during a race. Basically, when a driver gets to the Start line, the car is his to manage.

About Radios, what good do they do the sport? Why are they needed?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    About Radios, what good do they do the sport? Why are they needed?
    "Crash at turn 1, track blocked. STOP STOP STOP" ?

"Your front wing is falling off. BOX BOX BOX"
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yellow Flags, waved Yellow, Double waved Yellow, Red Flag, Lights on Steering Wheel take care of point one.

I said on point two that the Race Director could have direct communication with drivers for emergency or safety reasons.

Would that cover the need for radios?