Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Heidfeld was also great as you say in collecting points.

The seasons at BMW in 2007 & 2008 were his best in a good car collected so many points and podiums and matched Kubica all the way. I would love to have seen him get a top drive just to see if he could make that step up.
    2008 wasn't that good - he was struggling with qualifying and was "saved" by a relatively wet season, which enabled him to overcome the deficit with some good strategy and driving and score the points.

But 2007 was truly good. In my book one of the best drivers that year, along the Top3 in the championship. Often got 4th place finishes, which means he beat someone from two top teams, who happened to have a bad day there. Like Massa in Malaysia or Alonso in Bahrain.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    2008 wasn't that good - he was struggling with qualifying and was "saved" by a relatively wet season, which enabled him to overcome the deficit with some good strategy and driving and score the points.

But 2007 was truly good. In my book one of the best drivers that year, along the Top3 in the championship. Often got 4th place finishes, which means he beat someone from two top teams, who happened to have a bad day there. Like Massa in Malaysia or Alonso in Bahrain.
    Correct.

I just looked back after you said that and you are right 2008 was worse than I remembered. Back to the Nostalgia thread my mind was playing tricks.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    Most underrated: Prost possibly. Rarely do people rate him among the very best (like Senna, Schumacher, Clark and Fangio), but there has never been a driver in F1 with a more impressive list of teammates than what he had and he did well against all of them, even Senna. Prost would love the era we have now, I am sure he would shine nowadays.
    Amen!
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Most underrated: Prost possibly. Rarely do people rate him among the very best (like Senna, Schumacher, Clark and Fangio)
    They do. The people who abhor Senna's sense of morals will put Prost ahead.

I definitely agree that what sets Prost apart from other greats are the opposition, team mates and some of the s**t he had to go through he would have had more than the 4 WDCs he had to his name.

Another driver who is very overrated is Gilles Villeneuve. Sure, he was a spectacular driver, but his speed is overrated.
    He had the ability of greats to polish a turd in his "Cadillac" Ferrari's but Pironi could give Gilles a hard time, so did Schekter but Ferrari had team orders mid-1979.

He was often regarded as the "fastest" and "quickest" by his peers and we know those words are cliches. I've come across John Watson's critical remarks: unrefined and drove unnecessarily to the limit - which was how I saw Stefan Belloff and more over rated than Gilles IMO.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    I've come across John Watson's critical remarks: unrefined and drove unnecessarily to the limit - which was how I saw Stefan Belloff and more over rated than Gilles IMO.
    I seem to recall Watson describing Villeneuve as, at one stage, 'driving like a hyperactive child'.

Bellof is another one of those I think it's hard to describe as over-rated, so short was his F1 career.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I always liked Takuma Sato, he was a spectacular driver always very quick just not as consistant as I hoped.
    As soon as he jumped in an Indy car he was extremly quick but did retire a lot in his first couple of years.
    If he had the consistency to match his speed he would be right up there in any machinery.
    Supporting the British Drivers all over the world!!!
    BRITISH POWER!!!!!!!