Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Wow, two newbies joined the forum just to slag Varsha. Frankly joelt, you have no idea why Varsha was dropped, but I know for a fact that Bob's other major gig on Speed is the Barrett-Jackson auction, which is aired ad nauseum. I have to think--and here's where I'll admit I'm guessing--that they (Barrett-Jackson) make it financially difficult for Bob to leave that show. He may even be under a multi-year contract. And notwithstanding, if he sucked so much, why did NBC hire him to do the Malaysia race?
    Varsha is an actual employee of SPEED, therefore bound contractually.
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    I read an interview David Hobbs gave last year in which he said that Varsha has a contract that he could not get out of at Fox. Bob Varsha also said on his Facebook page I think, that Speed and NBC came to an agreement and Bob will be filling in at Malaysia, Spa, and somewhere else this season.

I am all for it!
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by catmandodo
    Amen to this. I hope he doesn't return. He adds nothing to the show except his "celebrity" status and his off topic hip comments that have nothing to do with the race we are watching. If NBC brings him back, F1 coverage might just as well go back to the Speed Channel since it will be the exact same coverage. Insightful information from Hobbs and Matchett and fluff from Varsha. Leigh Diffey adds a knowledgeable new dimension and enthusiasm to what had become a good old boys club.
    Oh please. Varsha forgot more about F1 than anyone at NBC or Fox will ever know. it was great to hear him again, and I wish he was back for every race this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Wow, two newbies joined the forum just to slag Varsha. Frankly joelt, you have no idea why Varsha was dropped, but I know for a fact that Bob's other major gig on Speed is the Barrett-Jackson auction, which is aired ad nauseum. I have to think--and here's where I'll admit I'm guessing--that they (Barrett-Jackson) make it financially difficult for Bob to leave that show. He may even be under a multi-year contract. And notwithstanding, if he sucked so much, why did NBC hire him to do the Malaysia race?

Catmandodo, I appreciate the fervor you bring to the forum, but how's about substantiating your claim? If Bob is a celebrity, he earned that status by annoucing F1 races for the past 25 years. He's also an announcer--he just calls the races--he's not an analyst (though he does make observations and provide his take every now and then). The other guys are brought on to provide commentary and analysis.
    Indeed. WHAT celebrity? Varsha had a bit part in a 3rd rate movie and the entire scene he was in as a newscaster was CUT before the movie got released. That's from his bio on wikipedia.

BTW, Varsha has other obligations on Speed besides Barret Jackson. He's also doing LeMans style endurance races on that network. Fortunately, those don't come along every weekend - so his dance card is quite free.

I, for one, welcome him on the NBC payroll for this. It's like getting the band back together.

And one more thing - it seems to me that I heard plenty of commentary and insight from Steve and Dave during the race.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butplug Maximus
    Is that you Roamy? :
    May the forza be with you

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Personally, when Varsha is paired with the rest of the crew, the positives are the longstanding history and comfort level that makes for some jovial race coverage. However, it's a double-edged sword because at times, the old crew is too comfortable and lacking some proper play-by-play style calls. Diffey brings some energy in and, I think, will keep Hobbes and Matchett 'on-track' with the immediate goings-on and play-by-play of the race as it happens.

I'm happy with either crew and happier still that we get to hear both crews over the course of the season.
    Formula Platypus 2012

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    And as I watched the F1 race yesterday, all was right with the world again.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith