Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Even if they did go back to the 2012 car there's no guarantee that it will be quicker than the 2013 car once they modify it to suit the 2013 regulations. I know the rules have been pretty stable but there have been changes to things like the exhaust. Will the rear of the 2012 car work with a 2013 spec exhaust? If it doesn't McLaren will have wasted a lot of time on a dead end. I think they'd be better off spending their time making the 2013 car better and if by mid-season the car is still a turd switch development to the 2014 car.

Wasn't the reason they went back to the previous year's car in 2003 because the MP4-18 (I think) couldn't pass the crash tests? It also couldn't turn more than a handful of laps with breaking if I recall correctly. I think Kimi was rather lucky to get so close to the title in 2003 as he only won once compared to Schumi's 6 wins.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I think the McLaren slide will continue beyond this year. First, it's hard to believe that after spending a lot of resources on 2013 car, they will go back to 2012 car some time mid-season. By then most teams, except for runner ups, will start working on 2014 car, and McLaren should do.

With no title sponsor, no top pilot, and lackluster results for a couple of past years, I think McLaren will be ripe for a takeover by some manufacturer again (Honda, VAG, etc)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    @ Zako

I think that's the dream of non McLaren fans and pure fantasy.

The MP4-28 has teething problems but the best team in the world to get it sorted is McLaren. It's going to be hard but we'll get there.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    I think that's the dream of non McLaren fans and pure fantasy.

The MP4-28 has teething problems but the best team in the world to get it sorted is McLaren. It's going to be hard but we'll get there.
    I do hope McLaren sort things out. But not before Lewis has won a couple of championships with Merc and returned.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    I think the McLaren slide will continue beyond this year. First, it's hard to believe that after spending a lot of resources on 2013 car, they will go back to 2012 car some time mid-season. By then most teams, except for runner ups, will start working on 2014 car, and McLaren should do.

With no title sponsor, no top pilot, and lackluster results for a couple of past years, I think McLaren will be ripe for a takeover by some manufacturer again (Honda, VAG, etc)
    I think they've gone through worse than this before (e.g. mid 90s). They should be strong enough to stay around the top.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    I think they've gone through worse than this before (e.g. mid 90s). They should be strong enough to stay around the top.
    Yes, McLaren has gone though bad times, such as mid-90s. What I am saying they may see something like this again. Even big teams sometimes take a nose dive do pretty badly. Besides post-Senna McLaren, Ferrari before Schumacher came was a joke for years. McLaren's problem in the 90s was: lost Senna and lost Honda engines. It took a while to rebuild. I think something like this could happen again. 2013 season already looks bad. Now imagine the 2014 car is bad or Mercedes engine is bad or they don't find a new title sponsor, and the same could start to repeat again.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Even if they did go back to the 2012 car there's no guarantee that it will be quicker than the 2013 car once they modify it to suit the 2013 regulations. I know the rules have been pretty stable but there have been changes to things like the exhaust. Will the rear of the 2012 car work with a 2013 spec exhaust? If it doesn't McLaren will have wasted a lot of time on a dead end. I think they'd be better off spending their time making the 2013 car better and if by mid-season the car is still a turd switch development to the 2014 car.

Wasn't the reason they went back to the previous year's car in 2003 because the MP4-18 (I think) couldn't pass the crash tests? It also couldn't turn more than a handful of laps with breaking if I recall correctly. I think Kimi was rather lucky to get so close to the title in 2003 as he only won once compared to Schumi's 6 wins.
    Could you elaborate on the exhaust regs. As far as I know they're same as lqst year.

Ferrari ran year old cars at the start of the early 2000s and won races.

The MP4/17D had bits from the '18.

The was the year Honda had a dog of a car and Super Aguri had Honda's car from the previous year which was regarded as better.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I do hope McLaren sort things out. But not before Lewis has won a couple of championships with Merc and returned.
    Not a McLaren fan but don't hope it will take them that long to sort things out
    Because Hammy winning a couple of championships with that Honda in disguise could take forever
    tifosigirl

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    McLaren in Nöten: Kommt das alte Auto zurück? - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

rumors are abound that Mclaren are opening the door to a possibility of using last year's MP4-27, possibly as soon as Spain if things don't get better
    they already did this radical move back in 2003,and it worked out for them, finishing 2nd with Kimi

This makes sense to me since they have a great baseline with the car,can make the necessary upgrades and then still focus n 2014, rather than adding more bandaid's to a dud

Oh No! This would not only run my FGP charger but it would darn near destroy 80% if the filed that choose Perez!

Still, this looks like a fun season.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."