Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix Thread

Well with the first Race of the Season out of the way, we now only have a few days to wait until it all starts again for Round 2.

Drivers Championship standings after 1 Round
    1. Kimi Raikkonen - 25 pts
    2. Fernando Alonso - 18 pts
    3. Sebastian Vettel - 15 pts
    4. Feipe Massa - 12 pts
    5. Lewis Hamilton - 10 pts
    6. Mark Webber - 8 pts
    7. Adrian Sutil - 6 pts
    8. Paul di Resta - 4 pts
    9. Jenson Button - 2 pts
    10. Romain Grosjean - 1 pt

Constructors Standings ater 1 Round
    1. Ferrari - 30 pts
    2. Lotus - 26 pts
    3. Red Bull - 23 pts
    4. Mecedes - 10 pts
    5. Force India - 10 pts
    6. Mclaren - 2 pts

Malaysian Grand Prix, Sepang Circuit, Kuala Lumpar.

22nd-24th March

56 Laps.

Previous Winners a Sepang.
    1999: Eddie Irvine - Ferrari
    2000: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
    2001: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
    2002: Ralf Schumacher - Williams
    2003: Kimi Raikkonen - Mclaren
    2004: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
    2005: Fernando Alonso - Renault
    2006: Giancarlo Fisichella - Renault
    2007: Fernando Alonso - Mclaren
    2008: Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
    2009: Jenson Button - Brawn
    2010: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
    2011: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
    2012: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari

Michael Schumacher - 3 wins
    Fernando Alonso - 3 wins
    Kimi Raikkonen - 2 wins
    Sebastian Vettel - 2 wins
    Eddie Irvine - 1 win
    Ralf Schumacher - 1 win
    Giancarlo Fisichella - 1 win
    Jenson Button - 1 win

*Alonso could become most successful driver around here if he wins.

Ferrari - 6 wins
    Red Bull - 2 wins
    Renault - 2 wins
    Mclaren - 2 wins
    Williams - 1 win
    Brawn - 1 win

* Ferrari are the masters around Sepang.

So there we go. Lets hope the Race isn't subject to a monsoon as normal.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    So let's start with memories again.

Eddie Irvine winning the first Malaysian Grand Prix definitely sticks to my memory. Schumacher dominated the qualifying by a full second. On those days I was very nervous before races, but Ferrari played the strategy beautifully to get Eddie in front. And Stewarts were fast, 4th and 5th. And I also instantly liked the Sepang circuit. One of my favourites till now.

2001 - what a mess. First corner crash, then both Ferraris going off, falling to the back, only to emerge at the front. Trulli leading for a few seconds before spinning off too. Spectacular drive by Verstappen, which sadly wasn't rewarded as in drying conditions superior cars passed him and pushed him out of points-paying positions.

2002 - another first corner crash, then Barrichello and McLarens retiring, which left Ralf Schumacher in front alone with a huge advantage. Button came back from a miserable 2001 season to run on a podium position for a long time, only to drop to 4th with a suspension problem in the last few laps.

2003 - Renault stunned in qualifying. I was over the moon, predicting the team would win the World Championship one day (well, in 2005 it happened). Another first corner crash, again involving Schumacher and sadly Trulli as well (I remember I was furious as to why Jarno couldn't ever get lucky).

2004 - Webber front row, Alonso and Sato spinning off. Race wasn't too bad by 2004 standards either. Montoya gave Schumi a run for his money. Button got his first podium. Kimi was running strongly as well before the - inevitable! - engine blow. I remember on Monday morning I re-watched this race on Finnish TV and commentators almost cried that Kimi had no luck.

2005 - I was stunned. I had missed the Australian Grand Prix, but then I saw Renault leading, Toyota was second. McLaren in midfield, Ferraris even behind Red Bulls. What was that?!

2006 - I was just happy Fisichella happened to get one race weekend right once in a while.

2007 - perhaps the most 'silent' Malaysian GP I have witnessed. Still Hamilton entertained us by outracing the Ferraris.

2008 - Kubica taking P2, Trulli running strongly to 4th.

2009 - a true wet weather chaos.

2010 - a qualifying chaos with all McLarens and Ferraris starting from the back of the grid!! How often have you seen that?

2011 - Vettel controlled the race, but behind him there was some interesting action. Heidfeld bouncing back strongly after Oz disaster, Hamilton and Alonso having an entertaining race.

2012 - another wet weather chaos. Alonso and Pérez having their legendary strong races.

So many interesting memories from a circuit I really like.

What is 2013 going to be like? Wet or dry? How much do the cars performance fluctuate across different circuits in 2013? Because in terms of temperatures and track characteristics Sepang is going to be a little bit different. Again Lotus, Ferrari and RBR going to fight for the win? Plus Mercedes in qualifying trim. Can Force India keep it up? Can McLaren and all the midfielders raise their game?

But there could be a twist in the story of the race weekend, like it has often happens in Malaysia.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Brilliant posts by both above. I don't have many memories to add to what Jens said! But here's some

1999: I agree. Michael was on scintillating form on his return. Back to his real self after in truth, a disappointing 1999 by his standards, even before the crash. It was a real novelty to see him doing team orders for Irvine!

2000: I just remember this being a nice race for some reason. Maybe it's because Ferrari had finally done it in the previous race - the dream had come true! Eddie Irvine scored a rare point for Jaguar. Johnny Herbert driving strongly in his final race, looking good for that 6th place, 'til a suspension failure put him out and injured him too.

2001: Wow how crazy, not really shown in the final result. Both Ferrari's spinning off together. Trulli and Coulthard doing the same at the hairpin. Villeneuve, Bernoldi and one other all going off together at turn 4. But I agree that it was the performance of Jos Verstappen from 18th on the grid that made this race memorable. He overtook both Frentzen and Hakkinen on merit and it even briefly looked like he could win.

2002: One of my favourite races here. Button running 2nd before losing out near the end - a real surprise as he had never gone well here til this point. Fisichella and Jordan were robbed of points by his own team-mate Sato: Out of all the drivers he could have hit! One of the nicest memories was Arrows dong very well; they were looking strong indeed with Frentzen starting 11th. Sadly problems left him well down the field. But the maligned Bernoldi showed well in the race: I remember really enjoying the 3 way fight between him, McNish and Massa for 6th place. Bernoldi looked very strong for that point till mechanical failure. Other memory: The performance of Toyota, with Salo qualifying 10th and McNish should have been around 13th. McNish was brilliant in the race, robbed of a point.

2003: Another brilliant race. Yeah it was sad for Trulli but I think he still came 5th after that! Jenson had another problem at the end dropping him to 7th behind Michael again. Heidfeld scored one of only 3pts finishes in '03 having qualified 6th. But Alonso and Raikkonen stole the show, as did David Coulthard who had a real strop after retiring from 2nd place.

2004: Webber's front row grid slot, wasted by a terrible start (hmmm sounds familiar), Sato and Alonso starting down the back. Yeah Jenson getting his podium and Montoya challenging Michael! Barrichello suffering by choosing the hard tyre while Michael went for soft - normally totally the wrong choice! Yet sure enough it was cooler than usual.

2005: Another great race - Toyota qualifying on the front row in the dry?!! Finishing there was utterly staggering, showing that Trulli's race pace was just fine when he was towards the front. I groaned as Fisi's championship chances went down the pan as something came loose from his car dropping him back to a collision with Webber - who took it badly. There was a memorable scrap which I so enjoyed between the Williams' and Ralf Schumacher. I really enjoyed Heidfeld on the podium and relished the unusual podium of Alonso, Trulli and Heidfeld. Also I was so pleased for Coulthard and Red Bull, performing VERY strongly again, DC having been at an all-time low after 2004. Anthony Davidson got to drive for BAR but only got to lap 3.

2006: Fisi winning! Though in truth he made a meal of it as usual and was fortunate not to be beaten by Alonso! Button was expected to win the race, showing how little people thought of Fisi. 4 or 5 cars got engine grid penalties. Heidfeld "monstered" Montoya for 4th before the engine blew right near the end. Massa beat Michael for 5th and there were no team orders.

2007: Ferrari not looking so dominant after all. Hamilton proving Australia was no fluke. Renault and Fisi doing badly being outqualified in 12th by Heikki, but he came 6th.

2010: Rosberg on the podium. Michael retiring after the start from 8th. Hulkenberg scoring his only point till a long time after.

2012: Not much needs to be said! I remember Michael easily beating Rosberg despite being hit by Grosjean on the first lap. NONE of Perez's podiums were flukey results Paul. Consider that in each of those drives, he was CHASING down the leaders like CRAZY. He was close to winning all three.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    2002: One of the nicest memories was Arrows dong very well; they were looking strong indeed with Frentzen starting 11th. Sadly problems left him well down the field. But the maligned Bernoldi showed well in the race: I remember really enjoying the 3 way fight between him, McNish and Massa for 6th place. Bernoldi looked very strong for that point till mechanical failure.
    Wow, I don't even remember this though I remember Bernoldi re-overtaking M.Schumacher. And Toyota indeed had a stronger weekend than in Australia, threatening to hunt for points on merit this time, and showing positive signs of becoming a strong team.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Cant wait for it. My favorite track before India and Texas were built. And the TV times are much more normal than Aus.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Why isn't Sutil available as an option on the pickems?

2001 was one of my favourite races of all time. Dont know why but I have watched it again over the years a few times. This is one race where I can remember nearly everything.
    I remember so much of the drama. Before the Parade Lap Montoya's Williams was left on the line, Frentzen got his Pit lane speed limiter stuck on and was trailing around and looking like starting last, but Fisi then lost his place on the Grid and parked across the track in the middle of the grid. Start was aborted and Frentzen and Montoya could retake their rightfu positions. (All this before the race started).

Then the race was go and Kimi was left on the line and Ralf Schumacher was spun by Barrichello I think and Ralf rejoined last.

Ralf then stormed through the backmarkers when Panis blew his engine, leaving oil at turn 6? The next lap rain came down and both Ferrari's headed off on the mix of oil and water and headed for the barrier.

I remember Brundle saying something like "Thats caused a few Heart Attacks back at Maranello"

Trulli then lead a Lap in the Jordan before the monsoon came. A lap later Trulli & DC 1st & 2nd went spinning off at the last corner. DC recovered and pitted in first. Monotoya spun off, the Heidfeld, Villeneuve & Bernoldi I think all went off at turn 4.

The Ferrari's pitted from about 3rd & 7th and Barrichello was in first, but the team had no wet tyres ready and had to go searching a bit like Europe 1999. Barrichello's stop took about 1 minute 10 seconds. Finally both he & Michael rejoined under the safety car 9th & 10th. Not before Barrichello Spun again.

Saftey pounded round as the track was a river. Then after about 12 Laps came in and Left DC leading, Frentzen, Verstappen, Hakkinen & Ralf Schumacher (something like that).

Straight away the Ferraris were overtaking the midfield around all sides. They had INters on while everyone else was on full wets. Frentzen was passed by Verstappen who closed on DC for the lead in the Arrows. Ralf passed Mika and Frentzen and soon the Ferraris were ready to pass all these cars in the next 5 Laps.

The Ferraris took up 1 & 2 and powered away. Leaving DC a lonely 3rd and Verstappen, Frenzten, Hakkinen and Ralf Schumacher having an epic scrap. Over 20 odd laps Jos da Boss, held off and repassed Frentzen and Hakkinen. While the fast Williams of Ralf stormed into 4th.

By the end Verstappen had to make one extra pit stop for Fuel leaving him on the lead Lap at the end but a heart breaking 7th.

The battle he had with Frentzen and Hakkinen had so much passing and repassing it was magic.

As for the other years.

2002 was notable for Montoya getting the first ever Drive Through Penalty after Schumi drove into him. (Never sure how that worked) and he came steaming through the pack to complete a 1-2. I remember as Jens said, Bernoldi repassing Michael and Jenson running 3rd in his Renault until Suspension issues let Schumacher past in the last couple of laps.

2003. - All what Jens & rjbetty said really. The Renaults 1-2 on the grid. Kimi claiming his first win and great comeback drives from Trulli & M. Schumacher after another first corner collision.

I seem to also recall Yoong actually outperformed Mark Webber for maybe the only time in his home race.

2004- So happy to see Button claim a Podium, and hoped Montoya would challenge Michael for the title, but it was not to be.

2005 - One of my best memories of this race was an epic battle between. Ralf Schumacher, Fisichella, Nick Heidfeld and Mark Webber. It ended with Webber and Fisi colliding and Heidfeld somewhere along the line passing 2 cars in 2 corners.
    Also Red Bulls outracing the Ferrari's

2006- Dont recall much apart from Fisi winning.

2007 - Lewis announcing himself by passing both Ferrari's on the first Lap and then holding them off.

2009 - Jenson winning in a half distance crazy race. Also Kimi eating Ice Cream.

Recent races have slipped my mind. Dont know why.

Well I seem to have gone on a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Forest
    Why isn't Sutil available as an option on the pickems?
    Not 100% sure, but he only got the drive at short notice. Maybe he hasn't been added yet?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1999 stands out in my memory
    Michael Schumacher driving circles around the competition whilst helping Irvine win the race
    vintage Schumacher
    tifosigirl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    So let's start with memories again.

Eddie Irvine winning the first Malaysian Grand Prix definitely sticks to my memory. Schumacher dominated the qualifying by a full second. On those days I was very nervous before races, but Ferrari played the strategy beautifully to get Eddie in front. And Stewarts were fast, 4th and 5th. And I also instantly liked the Sepang circuit. One of my favourites till now.
    Have I ever mentioned that I was there? Ok, maybe I bang on about it every year...

Anyway, Schumacher's pole lap was something special. Remember he'd been absent while his broken leg healed, yet halfway round his lap the crowd knew he was in a different class. He was inch perfect the whole way round, and I recall the hairs on the back of my neck tingling as he passed my seat. I also remember the debacle in the hotel bar that evening as the Ferrari was disqualified for illegal barge boards (only to be reinstated later). I was caught up in the friendly rivalry of his and Mika Hakkinen's fans and as a neutral observer I felt it my dity to have many many beers with both factions.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u