Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirelli 2013 ?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Pirelli immediately changing their rear tyres with kevlar belt instead of steel

BBC Sport - Pirelli strengthens tyres after Silverstone blowouts
    and hopefully this is the end of the safety concerns. It's good to see that for once the common sense thing seems to be getting done.

Now to bring back in season testing for cars and tyres and we'll be better off.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I might have been a bit hasty in condemning Pirelli if teams were operating them outside of maximum parameters. I think I will wait and see what comes out but I suspect lessons will be learned all around.

As for our latest (re) incarnation, I'm flattered. I must have really made an impression on the poor lad

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    "A series of different causes led to the tyre failures at silverstone: rear tyres mounted the wrong way round, low tyre pressures, extreme cambers and high kerbs" - Pirelli, explanation on Silverstone’ facts and next races
    Looks like this time teams goes too far...

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    I'm seeing that the teams were running tyres on the opposite side than they should have, with outside guideline cambers and pressures. The same team's which voted down a change in construction. The FIA would not let representative cars be used for in season testing, yet Pirelli are getting most of the flack. Sure, they probably should have developed tyres with more tolerance, or been firmer or outside parameter usage, but for me the teams and the FIA are equally culpable.

Sent from North Korea using the dark network
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    By the way, why are left and right tires made differently? I assume it's because because most F1 circuits run clockwise, so the left side tires have to be made tougher?

The next issue is even stranger. Why do teams swap the left and right tires to the opposite sides?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    By the way, why are left and right tires made differently? I assume it's because because most F1 circuits run clockwise, so the left side tires have to be made tougher?

The next issue is even stranger. Why do teams swap the left and right tires to the opposite sides?
    The individual tyres are assymetrical I believe in tyrewall construction. I may well be talking cobblers mind......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Why do teams swap the left and right tires to the opposite sides?
    I believe that the tread is designed in such a way to degrade faster in the intended rotational direction, by switching the tyre round to rotate the other way, teams have found out they last longer.

I must try that with the durex tonight....

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    But, the teams all bitching about unsafe may come back to haunt them given how they have been running the tyres - effectively willingly putting their own drivers at risk with - as DC said - 'driver killers'

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    If it is true that some teams have been using some tyres backwards or ignoring the Pirelli recommended PSi levels, then tighter moderation needs to take place in each pit garage. Pirelli are being asked by the week to chance tyre compounds and try new things, yet they have limited testing and are expected to be full proof straight off. If the teams are then using them against guidelines, then its hardly surprising we are going to see failures. I can't quite believe the teams would push the safety risks just to gain a few tenths. This of course may not be true at this point.

The problem we have now is nobody wants to take responsibility and the teams are trying to cover their backsides.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts

In part from the link above provided by Skory:

"The sidewalls are designed in such a way to deal with specific loads on the internal and external sides of the tyre. So swapping the tyres round has an effect on how they work in certain conditions. In particular, the external part is designed to cope with the very high loads that are generated while cornering at a circuit as demanding as Silverstone, with its rapid left-hand bends and some kerbs that are particularly aggressive."

This seems strange at first, but when you consider the loads on these tires it makes sense. It appears Pirelli are factoring in the various G loads and designing based on such loads.

What I want to know is why the teams are swapping, and if they will incur punishment for doing so. If they swapped the tires intentionally, or for that matter ran tires out of pressure or camber specs, they introduced the danger created on track when the tires failed.

If I was Pirelli I would be requesting the data from the teams concerning pressures.