Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Humanity

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Maybe the replacement sarcophagus they are erecting at Chernobyl will not fit, the new one will collapse scattering lethal levels of radiactive dust throught the atmosphere and introducing killer rain to the world.........

What a pleasant thought?

I think it would take more than that to create such a huge impact tbh.. although you have given me an idea to design and patent a lead lined brolly

hmm.. what about that Kim bloke from North Korea letting off a few nukes?.. that could could make a few dents.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    That combines well with our demise debate as well.

The talk of using up natural resources, balances with the progress we are making in natural energy. Thus far some great progress has been made, but real steps need to be taken in order to make sure we can keep a balance.

I believe it can be done that we can one day use our planet to live, but not by destroying it.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    I believe it can be done that we can one day use our planet to live, but not by destroying it.
    More optimistic! I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroTroll
    It is, isn't it? Imagine a species who is intellectually as much our superior as we are superior to the early hominoids. What will they think of our primitive experiments with space flight, etc. They'll consider it quite adorable, no doubt.
    I personally believe there must be life elsewhere in the universe, maybe not very intellegent life but still life.

However imagine if we get to the stage where we could not be limited by our home planet.

It would seem surreal to think it, but imagine humans who never saw there native world, and all the wonderful life in it.

It is both amazing and sad in someways. However we are getting ahead of ourselves, we have plenty more to achieve here yet.

We still have areas in our solarsystem to explore for some signs of life. Mars, and maybe the frozen sea world of Europa (One of Jupiters Moons). Afterall all as of now the only life we know of started in water on this planet, so under unseen ice sheets there could be some sort of life.

Imagine if we found confirmation that life is not only limited to our one planet. Even the discovery of singlecell life opens the doors that we are just one oasis of life in the universe.

Thinking about it, blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroTroll
    More optimistic! I like it.
    Of course even if we dont destroy it, it will be destroyed but the sun or Cataclismic event from space.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Inspired by the dicussion off topic in the Homophobia thread I thought it would be fun to bring that discussion here and leave the Homophobia thread for its own purpose.

I think Humanity is the most amazing success story in evloution, but at a cost.

We have savaged large numbers of habitats and species on the down side, but on the up side, so many individuals are trying to put it right, by helping species survive. Its the worst and best of the Human species.

Yet while we seem so in control of our world, but as we occasionally see planet earth can still render us helpless.

So any thoughts about any interesting aspects of our evolution, exsistance or future.
    When the time comes humanity will go down the drain without having learned from previous cases that have been discovered and discussed again and again.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Of course even if we dont destroy it, it will be destroyed but the sun or Cataclismic event from space.
    The way I see it right now there are three category of human beings:
    1. those who think we are perfect
    2. those who have no clue and love the comfort of the modern life
    3. those who see the issues looming bigger and bigger

The first 2 categories will always win in a democratic system.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    When the time comes humanity will go down the drain without having learned from previous cases that have been discovered and discussed again and again.
    Eh? What previous cases? Surely we have gotten further than any other animal ever on Earth, and have to make it up as we go along?

The dinosaurs didn't even have Playstation 2, not to mention Playstation 3.

Or did you mean previous, now gone, human civilizations?

Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    The way I see it right now there are three category of human beings:
    1. those who think we are perfect
    2. those who have no clue and love the comfort of the modern life
    3. those who see the issues looming bigger and bigger

The first 2 categories will always win in a democratic system.
    There's an ounce of truth in that... So what's the solution?

Well, the Sun has a few billion years left in it still, so that's no problem for a good while yet. And cataclysmic space events like asteroid strikes we will learn to predict and prevent.

I'm confident that it's all in our own hands. Can we go a couple of millennia or more without destroying ourselves? That is the question.