Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Humanity

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Re: Humanity

An interesting aspect of humanity is the pack mentality. We are of course a social creature and that seems to go deeper than many of us think.

I was watching some coverage of some riots and was thinking about the pack mentality that seems to develop.

One or two individuals often (not always) in a certain setting seem to be reasonable people and yet once in a larger group are willing to partake in violent attacks.

I was watching a programme a few months ago, where they did an interesting experiment.
    They had a group of 100 people and put them into the centre of a room. They instructed the group that the two doors of the room were North and South. Next they told everyone, that when a buzzer sounded they were to run as fast as possible out of the North door only, In the first experiment every person ran to the North and escaped.

Then 5 people who were planted pre experiment, had been told to run to the South door despite the instruction to run towards the North door.

When the experiment was repeated it ended that only about 65 had gone to the North Door, but 35ish went to the South door.

The basic idea being, that despite having in your own head an instruction to follow (i.e - North Door), when the pack mentality kicks in people just follow the nearest person to them and lose all sense of which door is which and that without thinking they heard like sheep.

I found this interesting that despite the independence we have, we still flock when in a chaotic situation.

Just an interesting thought. I suppose the same goes with pressure from friends and family. The general situation that kids are talked into smoking or drinking because friends say its cool. Its natural that people conform.

Generally people don't differ much from the main stream image. Just the way we are wired I suppose.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts

That reminds me the riot we had at work a few years ago. I attended even if I wasn't that desperate and was a rebel without a cause.

Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    That reminds me the riot we had at work a few years ago. I attended even if I wasn't that desperate and was a rebel without a cause.
    See case in point.

You realise you were exhibiting Sheep like behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    See case in point.

You realise you were exhibiting Sheep like behaviour.
    Maybe
    But ironically that experience changed me into a fearless revolutionary.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

The world has become a massive sh!thole and is spinning out of control. I see no correction in sight. The havenots will continue to spew kids out like rabbits in heat and demand the haves pay the bill. In the end the only country possible of any decency will probably be New Zealand if they control immigration. Maybe the Aussies too. The rest of us are fuked and fuked good.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

A big earthquake with the strength of 8.1 on the Richter scale hit the Middle East . Two million Muslims died and over a million were injured.

Iraq and Iran are totally ruined and the governments don't know where to start with providing help to rebuild. The rest of the world is in shock.

The USA is sending troops to help................

Saudi Arabia is sending oil...................

Latin American countries are sending supplies..................

New Zealand is sending sheep, cattle and food crops................

The Asian countries are sending labour to assist in rebuilding the Infrastructure..................

Canada is sending medical teams and supplies......................

GREAT BRITAIN...............not to be outdone.................is sending two million replacement Muslims.

God Bless GREAT BRITAIN ....

Boy, those Brits are smart...!!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

wow

I was talking about this issue with Gadjo on the Word Games forum.

I was saying how much I admire top level surgeons. I know people like to moan about doctors and as such, but back when my mother had her strokes the skill and pressure that the brain surgeons we talked to, are under is amazing.

Its one of the wonderful things about humanity. The individuals ability to learn and practice such an amazingly precise procedure.
    I personally cannot imagine having someone's life in my hands and opening up their skull and being so calm and precise as to be able to repair damage in said brain, yet while knowing that one wrong move will end that persons life. They then do this many times a day or week.

They are one of the best examples of what humanity is and can be. Simply incredible.

Hmmm. We also have good doctors here. The difference is that they don't do these things cos they have humanitarian feelings but only for a great amount of money.
    No money - no life.

Hmmm. We also have good doctors here. The difference is that they don't do these things cos they have humanitarian feelings but only for a great amount of money.
    No money - no life.
    That is sad to hear. That is not how it should be. I suppose that is a bad side of humanity. Greed.

I hope things can improve in your country. Everyone deserves a decent healthcare system.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13

I was saying how much I admire top level surgeons. I know people like to moan about doctors and as such, but back when my mother had her strokes the skill and pressure that the brain surgeons we talked to, are under is amazing.

Its one of the wonderful things about humanity. The individuals ability to learn and practice such an amazingly precise procedure.
    I personally cannot imagine having someone's life in my hands and opening up their skull and being so calm and precise as to be able to repair damage in said brain, yet while knowing that one wrong move will end that persons life. They then do this many times a day or week.

They are one of the best examples of what humanity is and can be. Simply incredible.
    Depends on the patient. They wouldn't have to be nearly as precise working on me. I've got plenty of extra room in there for a wide margin of surgical error.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover