Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroTroll
    The problem is simply wings. Do you think they should be removed?
    I dont think F1 would ever consider this, because it would make them less developed I suppose than some less categories. However it may be a good idea.

It would certainly aid following and still be even for both drivers.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    It would certainly aid following and still be even for both drivers.
    It wouldn't because the pursuing car would benefit from the slipstream effect.

It wouldn't because the pursuing car would benefit from the slipstream effect.
    You cant stop natural occurances in Racing, you can stop artifical gimmicks ruining a sport.

Anyway the car passed can use that to gain the place back straight away on the next or even same straight. With DRS one driver cant fight back for at least a lap.

Slipstreaming isnt biased as soon as your behind its your friend. DRS is biased to the one who happens to be behind for the whole next lap. Let DRS be used for a certain period each lap, or all lap as early as you dare apply it.

There must be a better way

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Does anyone remember any DRS passes that actually were awesome to watch? I don't. They are all about just pressing a button and getting ahead. Completely meaningless. Overtaking has been devalued and it means nothing these days. Also, defensive skills mean nothing these days, because they can't fight against DRS.

Whoever came up with this awful idea needs to spend 6 hours in a dungeon with Max Mosley.
    "signature room for rent"

Seems like Garry & I are on the same page because I agree 100% and said almost exactly the same

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    Does anyone remember any DRS passes that actually were awesome to watch? I don't. They are all about just pressing a button and getting ahead. Completely meaningless. Overtaking has been devalued and it means nothing these days. Also, defensive skills mean nothing these days, because they can't fight against DRS.
    Again I say, why must passing be so "meaningful" and special? Because that's what we got used to over the past few decades?

Yes, defensive skills are no longer a necessity. So what? Things change. Other skills are now at the forefront.

Many of us - not all, but many - had been complaining for decades that overtaking was too difficult. Now that they've finally done something about it, I'm happy. It may not be the perfect solution, but it's a solution nevertheless.

Anyway the car passed can use that to gain the place back straight away on the next or even same straight. With DRS one driver cant fight back for at least a lap.

Slipstreaming isnt biased as soon as your behind its your friend. DRS is biased to the one who happens to be behind for the whole next lap.
    That is true. It doesn't work exactly the same as slipstreaming in ye olde days, but similarly.

There must be a better way
    Any ideas?

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Any Ideas?

Less aero - much less, or DRS deployable at any stage, the only limit being how brave the driver is. Mechanical grip is the future direction IMO - aero of the type seen on the current crop of cars is of little relevance to the real world (though one could argue that F1 bears little resemblance to the real world) and - as noted in a few posts above - makes the old fashioned slip streaming duels a virtual impossibility given the "dirty air" effect. Aerodynamics still has a place in the pinnacle of the sport, but less reliance on this and more emphasis on mechanical grip would really add some spice.

Oh, and too much horsepower - make the things challenging, with gear changes done off the steering wheel. Sequential is still fine, but the lever should be separate from the steering.

Technology has a place, and the changes to the formula from 2014 onward seem to be embracing other "hybrid" types of power sources and importantly, energy harvesting, but racing is what we all come to see. Maybe reintroduce active suspension, adjustable on the fly by the driver?

Some random thoughts whilst I avoid the crap that is on the TV...

Well, doing away with wings would solve the problem immediately, and there wouldn't be a need for DRS. And I wouldn't be against it! Why should cars have wings, anyway?

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Well, doing away with wings would solve the problem immediately, and there wouldn't be a need for DRS. And I wouldn't be against it! Why should cars have wings, anyway?
    Advertising

But when you're right, you're right...