Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts

Sponsorship that works...sort of

I was idly cleaning my teeth the other day and it occured to me that I happened to have chosen a specific brand of mouthwash based on a sponsorship from 20 years ago (Listerine's sponsorship of BMW in the BTCC if you're interested). This probably isn't the sort of slow burn that the advertisment was intended to attract but it did get me wondering if other people have found themselves falling for marketing years after the actually advert was around.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    YES I was thinking of this recently!! I find that products I buy (pending available cash - you know how it is) are very much influenced by motorsport sponsors.

I don't know about others, but the first time I ever heard of many products in the first place (many of which are more well known today) was through F1/motorsport sponsorship.

The very Acer laptop I have and use was purchased based entirely as a kind of 'thank-you' to them for supporting Prost in 2001 - even though I purchased it 10 years later.

I first tried Red Bull in 2002-03, having been aware of them in F1 since I first started watching in 1997. I have to say drinking a can before every one of my college exams in 2003 did seem to genuinely help my performance A lot of people are surprised to find they were a major sponsor since 1995 - and even more surprised that they apparently sponsored Gerhard Berger way back in the 80's in their early years.

I have a Vauxhall Astra, one of the main reasons for which is because of their support for the BTCC in it's lowest days in 2001.

I would seriously consider buying a Skoda Octavia these days heavily based on their WRC entry, especially their 2001 season, finishing an extremely good 4th, 3rd (after leading!) at Safari and 5th at Great Britain. I don't imagine I would have given that car much time of day otherwise.

So it looks like competing and sponsoring are worthwhile to a large extent.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I obviously use Head & Shoulders shampoo because I'm a Jenson Button fan.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    I wear Hugo Boss because I'm a Lewis fan.
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    ...but I bet your missus wears Alonzo Bristol
    May the forza be with you

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I don't buy much of anything based on advertising really. Which is strange, considering I spent years in a related field. During that time I also helped sponsor a couple of local race cars.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    I obviously use Head & Shoulders shampoo because I'm a Jenson Button fan.
    Does is only work when your hair is properly balanced and you are the team leader in your relationship?

Serious shampoo question.....

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Where there's nothing to choose between brands, eg petrol, I think I choose brands who support racing. But these days I have to admit I go for the cheapest. When I smoked it was always a brand who supported racing - Gold Leaf, JPS, Rothmans, etc then Silk Cut when I switched to lower tar.

But generally I don't think I consciously go for sponsors' products but I may do so subconsciously.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    But generally I don't think I consciously go for sponsors' products but I may do so subconsciously.
    That's the thing, it wasn't until I got halfway down the mouthwash that I realised the reasons behind buying it, when I actually picked it off the shelf it was completely subconscious.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    I wear Hugo Boss because I'm a Lewis fan.
    I buy Bridgestone tyres because they are the brand Lewis uses to hoon in Oz.