Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Back in the day when I tried my hand at stock car racing for a couple of seasons on a local track owned by the France family, it was explained to me by the track manager that NASCAR is in the entertainment business, not the racing business.

That is also true for most other sanctioning bodies. SCCA would be a notable exception, since SCCA racing does not depend on spectator attendance.

Engineering has been stagnant in most top racing series for many years now as a means to control costs.

F1, NASCAR, Indy Car - all essentially run spec cars.

Thank God NASCAR finally ditched carburetors in favor of fuel injection.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Jag, Very fair point. I would argue that the bulk of Indycar fans are probably from a slightly more "particular" demographic - not necessarily wealthier - but "snootier" (I use that word for lack of any other and am perfectly content to lump myself in the snooty but not really wealthy crowd). HOWEVER, your point about the B2B crowd is far more relevant - I had not considered that..... CART had a huge B2B business and the perfect storm of the split and the end of tobacco advertising pretty much killed that.....(and then, when they finally did away with the split, it was at the start of the biggest economic downturn since the Great Depression - so there was no way to effectively capitalize on that ...)