Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What if NASCAR took control of Indy Cars?

There was some talk previously of Nascar starting their own open wheel series, but what if Nascar took control of Indy Cars? Would it be so bad? This probably won't happen but if it did what would be the positives and the negatives. I can only think of positives. I know this might be blasphemous to some.

Positives....

NASCAR is strong and has the tracks, the organisation, the stability, the TV coverage and the clout to make it work.
    You may see drivers competing in both series as guest drivers in Indy Car.
    The current NASCAR manufacturer engine suppliers, might get involved ie bringing Toyota back into open wheel racing.
    Tracks, ok we may see more ovals, for me that isn't so bad, but like wise you may see more road courses for the trucks or nationwide series, with joint events with Indy Cars.
    Related sponsors of existing NASCAR teams within Indy Car.
    Indy Car mentioned on tele more than it is as you know NASCAR would promote it as they would want it to succeed as it would be in their interest. I don't think they would kill it off.

Negatives.....

They might kill off the series.
    To many ovals, for road race lovers.

Curious to know what you all think?
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I read the title and immediately thought of a movie:

Gone in 60 seconds
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST
    They might kill off the series.
    To many ovals, for road race lovers.

Curious to know what you all think?
    The biggest negative would be that it would end any hope of the series growing back into truly fast cars and top speeds at Indy or anywhere else. They'll never let anyone upstage the stockers.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The point I am trying to make here is that if it was their product, they would want it to do well. Surely they don't believe it would trump the stock cars? I think a NASCAR fan is always going to be pro NASCAR and an open wheel fan would always be an ow fan. I do see what you are saying though.

What I am thinking if it was theirs they would want it to be a success and could be in the best possible position for that to happen. In some ways they need to destroy it first to get it at a knock down price. They had an opportunity when CHAMP CAR failed but then they still would have been against the IRL and TG. So my thinking is this, they need the series to be unified and then fail.....

I know what I am talking about is never likely to happen, and this is purely superstition.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thinking about speed, NASCAR are doing 200 mph at Daytona, so maybe you are right. Why have a car that could do 220, and make the NASCARs look slow, but they are having to slow NASCARs anyway. 43 cars does not compare to 22-26 cars, what ever speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Max, you can look to Nascar's track record with other forms of motorsport. Grand Am sure hasn't ignited any passion among sportcar fans. AMA motorcycle racing is a shadow of what it used to be. It won't be producing any Moto GP champions anytime soon.

I think in the end, IndyCar would end up being something like Grand Am, racing so tightly controlled, it might as well be pure spec racing. Which isn't far from what it is now. I'm pretty much out the door regarding IndyCar, but I do hope against hope that someday they may be something worth watching for me again. I don't expect it, but I can cling to that slight, unlikely hope. But as Starter said, Nascar taking over would pretty much regulate it to being nothing more than it is now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Danica Patrick would be on the pole of every race and mysteriously drop back in the field and then win on a yellow flag for 'debris' restart after the top 12 cars run out of gas

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPVguy

Danica Patrick would be on the pole of every race and mysteriously drop back in the field and then win on a yellow flag for 'debris' restart after the top 12 cars run out of gas
    I understand your disdain for the 'Danica', but an honest person would admit that she hasn't done all that badly over in stocker land. Better than many of the other drivers. And when one complains that the sanctioning body gives her the advantage, talk is cheap - prove it.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPVguy

They know how to sell the story and promote their sport and kudos to them and Danica.Plenty of those buying it ,therefore why not. Control of Indycar on the other hand would mean vintage racing as far as open wheel in this country.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Assuming that NASCAR even wanted Indycar (they have to fix the recently re-united sports car series that their own power grab effed up), wouldn't their control of the top level American Stock Car, American Sports Car and American Open Wheel series raise anti-trust issues?

I would want to see how they do with their re-united sports car series before allowing them to touch Indycar.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)