Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going to Indy 500 First Time!

Any suggestions for a first timer? Coming from the south, and parking in lot 1b. How will traffic be getting in and out? What time should we get there?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right on! Congrats, and you will have a blast.

Are you coming just for the race, on Sunday? Where are your seats?

Since you are coming from the south, I’d take 65N to 70W,and get off at Holt and head North. Itused to be nice to park on the south side, on Gasoline Alley between 10th St, and Rockville Rd., but the Allison plant closed part of the road, where Polco crosses 10th St. on the south side, so you now have to walk around the plant. Polco takes you right to the track, right between T1 and T2. Since you go around the plant, you could also go up Main St. in speedway, past the Dallara plant. This is still not bad if you’re sitting in T1-T2, or don’t mind walking further if your seats are on the North end.

You could also take 65N, to Kessler south down to 30thSt west, cross Lafayette, and park some where there in that area, NE from the track. This is not bad if you have seats in T3-T4. Wear comfortable shoes!!!!

I would try and avoid 465 on the West side, unless you want to get there early 6/7am and even then, we usually avoid it. We come from the North, and usually swing down to the south, and enter the track off of 16th. The others are good for arriving there at 8/9/10am. You want to give yourself at least an hour of walking, so it depends on if you want to get there early and shop/eat/drink. The crowds have increased each of the last three years, so listen to the local radio on your way in.

Check in before the race weekend, and I’ll try and help update you on the best way in and out. You will have a great time!
    Green, Green, Green!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wonderful! It is such an exciting event with memories to last a lifetime. If your seats are in the inside of the track, you'll want to get there early enough to walk across the cross the track. We stopped and took pictures of the front straight and turn one. As for getting to the track, we experimented with parking, taking a bus from downtown and riding in a taxi. The taxi was the most expensive, but well worth it! They can pick up you from your motel, take you to the track using the special blocked straights used only for buses, taxis and VIP's, and then will be available to take you back after the race. No crowds and air conditioning in the cab. We also went to the track on Saturday to witness the crowds and shop for t-shirts, etc. Enjoy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    normally getting in and out is not difficult. It is amazing how well the city of indianapolis runs traffic considering it is located within the city itself(okay it is in speedway). Two years ago it was tough getting in because someone had been hit by a car and it held traffic up quite a bit and we just got too our seats about 15 minutes before the race was too start. Normally that isn't a problem though. Getting out is easy. Once again it is amazing how fast traffic does get out. My suggestion though is since their are 300,000 people trying to get out bring some food and have a tailgate party before leaving. It will take 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get out so why wast fuel sitting in line. Just sit back and enjoy the sites(if you are a guy there are a lot to see) and make some friends. My only word of warning is don't sit in the paddock seating. You won't see much. I made that mistake at the first gp I went too. Won't do that again.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You'd better go soon ! while it's still there