Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Rugby needs to make a return to the Olympics!
    Rugby Sevens will be in Rio in 2016.....

WT
    Winner 2012 F1 Fantasy Racers at fantasyracers.com. Winner 2013 FGP.

Never stop believing...

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Wrestling was an original Olympic sport, although not a big fan of this discipline I think it is sad, and a sign of the time$ that it is getting the boot. What will be next the marathon?
    May the forza be with you

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
    Wrestling was an original Olympic sport, although not a big fan of this discipline I think it is sad, and a sign of the time$ that it is getting the boot. What will be next the marathon?
    See, Olympics is a Greek invention. Yet most of Olympics participants are descendants of Barbaric tribes. No wonder they are getting rid of the Greek heritage and reinstating their own sports. It's about time to rename the whole thing into Barbarics.
    Llibertat

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    See, Olympics is a Greek invention. Yet most of Olympics participants are descendants of Barbaric tribes. No wonder they are getting rid of the Greek heritage and reinstating their own sports. It's about time to rename the whole thing into Barbarics.
    I'm not sure if you are joking or not; however "The Modern Olympic Games” were the brain child of Baron Pierre de Coubertin (a barbarian) who was also the founder and president of the IOC for 30 years plus.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I can understand a host nation taking away a couple of sports and inserting a couple, but Inline Roller Skating.

Brazil must really rock at that.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    I can understand a host nation taking away a couple of sports and inserting a couple, but Inline Roller Skating.

Brazil must really rock at that.
    The host nation does not decide on the sports. This is decided by the IOC and is done several years in advance.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    I don't think sports with an established world championship or world cup should be in the Olympics: golf, tennis, association football, or Rugby (15-man not sevens). Nor should sports which are only played in only a few countries be included: basketball and ice hockey in particular or the proposals to include baseball, cricket or Rugby (again maybe sevens is OK). I have reservations about events that rely on the opinion of judges: sychronised swimming, some forms of gymnastics, ice dancing, boxing, diving as the best and most knowledgeable judges will come from the main competing countries and there's always the possibility of bias. Boxing is a tricky one as amateur ( and olympic) rules are so different from the professional form.

Having got that off my chest, I do think that wrestling should be retained in the games - even though I don't understand the rules.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not too surprised by this decision. I was actually more shocked by the fact that boxing didn't get the axe because of its blatant corruption and match-fixing. What saddens me the most, especially as a former wrestler (collegiate style), is that almost zero attention was paid to wrestling during the 2012 Olympics in London. The rules are straightforward, so there isn't much controversy surrounding the sport such as boxing or gymnastics. Ratings are what matter to the IOC because that means higher revenues.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let's get shin kicking in the Olympics.
    [youtube]VZ2CSpNze5Q[/youtube]

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    I don't think sports with an established world championship or world cup should be in the Olympics: golf, tennis, association football, or Rugby (15-man not sevens). Nor should sports which are only played in only a few countries be included: basketball and ice hockey in particular or the proposals to include baseball, cricket or Rugby (again maybe sevens is OK). I have reservations about events that rely on the opinion of judges: sychronised swimming, some forms of gymnastics, ice dancing, boxing, diving as the best and most knowledgeable judges will come from the main competing countries and there's always the possibility of bias. Boxing is a tricky one as amateur ( and olympic) rules are so different from the professional form.

Having got that off my chest, I do think that wrestling should be retained in the games - even though I don't understand the rules.
    actually ice hockey is a very global sport and it is played in far more countries then you might think. Its even played in countries
    like India, Australia, New Zeeland, Thailand, Singapore, countries that you normally only would associate with summer sports.
    And for ice hockey the Olympics is the biggest/most prestige national team tournament, the world championship are no
    longer consider to be particular prestigious but rather the opposite.

I an pretty sure that there are plenty of other sports in the Olympics that are far less global then ice hockey and I think
    most sports have their own established world championships. Is there any Olympic sport that does not have a world championship?
    So I think the more relevant question to ask is if the Olympic is the finest and most prestigious that you can win.
    When it comes to Golf, tennis and football I can agree that they should not be in the olympics.

Also in your opinion how well spread does a sport a sport need to be to deserve an Olympic status?

I also agree with some of what you are saying like the judgement sports, since how do you judge if one pirouette is more nicely done then the other?
    Sure almost every sport have judgement in one way or another but in most sports its not a decisive part of the sport/game.
    Since if one team scores 3 goals and the other scores 1 goal, its no discussion that the team with the most scored goals won.

I think the problem with the wrestling is that it has been ruined by corruption the past 10 years or so.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...