Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Early MOT question

If I took a vehicle with, say, ten month's MOT still on it for a new test and it failed, would it be MOT-less or still okay to use for another ten months legally? Or should I try a pre-MOT test and then have the official version if it's sure to pass?

I ask because I'm off to a motor auction tonight and a vehicle I'm interested in has a trail period and I thought I might squeeze a test in before handing over my cash.

Any thoughts?
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I think you can only take the test up to one month early. But I'm not sure. Hope that helped

That said, you wouldn't necessarily take the old certificate in, would you?
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I may be wrong, but I thought it was two weeks early and that it was for sort of 'post dating' a test to follow the old one (not making much sense there, but I know what I mean!)

As in, you can take it any time, but upto two weeks before can be added to a current test to make it 12 months long. If you take it any earlier, you're writing off the remaining test's length and you're simply starting a new new twelve months again.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You can only add up to 1 calender month on an mot [13 months total]on production of a valid mot.If you took your car with 10 months ticket on it and it failed then the previous mot will be null and void.
    2010 NASCAR pickems champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GARYGAZZA
    You can only add up to 1 calender month on an mot [13 months total]on production of a valid mot.If you took your car with 10 months ticket on it and it failed then the previous mot will be null and void.
    That's funny, I took my current vehicle for it's pre-test yesterday and was told by the MOT man even if one failed it's valid certificate would still be allowed to run as normal.

I thought it sounded a bit unlikely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    That's funny, I took my current vehicle for it's pre-test yesterday and was told by the MOT man even if one failed it's valid certificate would still be allowed to run as normal.

I thought it sounded a bit unlikely
    Trouble is with computerization the have a record of the mot pass or fail on record at dvla as soon as the test certificate is printed so they will know if the car or motorcycle is roadworthy to mot criteria.
    2010 NASCAR pickems champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's what I'd guessed, so thanks for that.

My MOT guy is a bit vague and gormless, so it seemed sensible to ask here rather than believe him :

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GARYGAZZA
    Trouble is with computerization the have a record of the mot pass or fail on record at dvla as soon as the test certificate is printed so they will know if the car or motorcycle is roadworthy to mot criteria.
    Correct

Any vehicle that is issued with a failure notice is deemed to be unroadworthy and any prior MOT will be null and void.

VOSA are automatically advised as to any vehicle issued with a failure or advisory notice and will come round and saw your legs off at the knees while you sleep.

However if a punter came to me with a motor that still boasted 10 months ticket and asked for a new test I would be inclined to fail him or her immediately on the grounds of being unfit to drive due to acute mental illness

I'm afraid you've caused a familial rift here Hazell as my fellow mechanic son disagrees and says that an MOT is for one year and will remain valid for the duration

However as he lost his testers licence years ago for dishing one out to his mate who was given a tug by Old Bill a couple of days later with a motor that had all the roadworthy attributes of something Fred Flintstone might own I wouldn't take too much notice of the little scallywag if I were you mate
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oily

surely you could go through the mot test but just not document anything as any mechanic that knows his onions knows what is in the test anyway

what we used to call a mock mot, tell the geezer what is wrong and once it is fixed you test it properly
    2009, Jonathan Adam BTCC, marshal at Knockhill Orange dont be seen trackside without it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reidy_fan
    Oily

surely you could go through the mot test but just not document anything as any mechanic that knows his onions knows what is in the test anyway

what we used to call a mock mot, tell the geezer what is wrong and once it is fixed you test it properly
    Some garages do a Pre Mot check Reidy, mine isn't one of them.
    As for "going through the motions" that's a bit tricky as we are filmed on CCTV throughout the testing process to ensure that the correct procedures are followed.

BTW did you know that the government are to introduce new MOT laws which will necessitate a test bi annually instead of the current yearly check and that new vehicles will be tested after 4 years and not 3.
    Gordon Brown argues that because of the increased quality of modern vehicles testing should be less stringent as is the case in the EC and also less frequent.
    Utter codswallop of course
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad: