Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Depends where you draw the line. Tennis and Football - I agree. But what about cycling? That has the Tour de France etc? Athletics have their own competitions outside of the Olympics etc.
    It is a difficult area to judge really, but the reason I said Football, Tennis and Golf shouldn't be included in the Olympics was because of the sheer amount of money that is involved in its competition on a global scale annually. Cycling is a big sport but its not as mainstream as the ones I mentioned and I'd rather see the lesser followed sports given the platform they deserve. I'm only judging it through one viewpoint and I agree its difficult to decide what is included and what is not.

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Nor should sports which are only played in only a few countries and ice hockey in particular.
    again

Look at the link below, it is the world championship divisions;

World Championships

As you can see there is a fairly large spread around the world when it comes to represented countries.
    From huge established ice hockey nations like Canada, Sweden, Finland, USA, Russia, Czech Rep and Slovakia
    to much smaller nations, like Mongolia, Australia, Greece, United Arab Emirate, Turkey, Croatia....

Do you still claim that ice hockey is only played in a few countries?
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    My wee high school from my wee town sent a few guys to the Olympics in wrestling .
    We had a coach who had wrestled in the Olympics , so he knew how to get it done .

There were only a couple of years when there were enough of the big farm boys to field a football team , but there was always enough muscle for enough good hard sparring partners .

It's sad that any original sport says goodbye , especially one that epitomizes the struggle , man to man , that is the sole of the Olympic movement .
    Alas , it , given it's very nature , will be only a hotbed for controversy , as any sport potentially "enhanced" by doping , is a liability for the games , and sadly , it's earning potential for the hosts .
    You don't want a doping scandal to overshadow your opening ceremony now , do you ?

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    ... ice hockey ....
    It's Canada's only chance at a medal! :
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    So.......how long before they add Speed Texting, and will it be part of the summer, or winter games?

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Olympian Pretorius arrested for murder
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/sp...rica.html?_r=0
    May the forza be with you

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Ok maybe ice hockey has a wider following than I thought. Nor does it have a high profile world cahmpionship so maybe it's OK to have it in the Olympics.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
    Wrestling was an original Olympic sport, although not a big fan of this discipline I think it is sad, and a sign of the time$ that it is getting the boot. What will be next the marathon?
    Most probably, modern TV viewers will not watch for hours to see the end result of a 42km race.
    It's all about marketing and money, forget the spirit of the Olympics, it died a slow death.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Most probably, modern TV viewers will not watch for hours to see the end result of a 42km race.
    From my TV viewer point of view, I think that a marathon race has many things in common with a F1 race.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    What a sad case. Wrestling is one of those sports that always should be part of olympics, not such crap as synchronized swimming. The olympics are getting more and more pathetic as time goes by.
    "signature room for rent"