Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coulthard Fan
    Completely agree with in the pits!
    HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BANNED FOR LIFE!
    Just let the happy retired 7 time CHAMPION be, dude

7 times WDC, most wins ever, most pole positions ever, a cool billion in the bank and FIA honorary ambassador.
    That combined with a happy healthy family, really it doesn't get any better than that

Better focus on recent moments that might have tainted the sport.
    Not so much lately imo.
    Maybe Bernie and his German court case but he'll probably get away with that.
    Or Lewis and his stupid words and tweets but that's merely entertaining.

Nothing much has really tainted the sport as of late me thinks
    tifosigirl

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    I'm amazed Max and the alleged Nazi hookers hasn't been thrown into the ring yet (oh, apparently it has now!)

"Ja Ja Wunderbar! Now next time you whip me could you say, 'The car misfunctioned and I could not avoid hitting Hill' in your sexy deadpan german accent"
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Senna deliberately driving into the back of Prost in Japan 90 to take the championship. One of the most disgusting pieces of cheating I have ever seen. And no, it wasn't justified because of what happened the previous year or pole position being switched to the opposite side of the grid. Disgusting display of deliberate cheating.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Senna deliberately driving into the back of Prost in Japan 90 to take the championship. One of the most disgusting pieces of cheating I have ever seen. And no, it wasn't justified because of what happened the previous year or pole position being switched to the opposite side of the grid. Disgusting display of deliberate cheating.
    I mentioned it in post #4 of this thread actually
    It wasn't Senna's finest moment that's for sure. I was surprised to hear him admit he did it on purpose and warning Prost before the start that if he turned in he would not lift. I would have been a bit more cautious had I been Prost. I am of the opinion that sanctions should have been brought in the previous year when Prost deliberately turned in on Senna when he had the inside line of the second from last corner. The fact FISA backed Prost and effectively enforced a vague unenforced rule previously on Senna left a bitter taste in the mouths of many fans. Senna went the wrong way about proving his point in 1990 but managed to do in in spectacular style. The governing body were manipulating the rules in such an obvious fashion and it was certainly a corrupt time. I think rather than what happened on track tainting the sport it was more the politics of the day that contributed. Just my opinion though and its a subject that divides most.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I mentioned it in post #4 of this thread actually
    It wasn't Senna's finest moment that's for sure. I was surprised to hear him admit he did it on purpose and warning Prost before the start that if he turned in he would not lift. I would have been a bit more cautious had I been Prost. I am of the opinion that sanctions should have been brought in the previous year when Prost deliberately turned in on Senna when he had the inside line of the second from last corner. The fact FISA backed Prost and effectively enforced a vague unenforced rule previously on Senna left a bitter taste in the mouths of many fans. Senna went the wrong way about proving his point in 1990 but managed to do in in spectacular style. The governing body were manipulating the rules in such an obvious fashion and it was certainly a corrupt time. I think rather than what happened on track tainting the sport it was more the politics of the day that contributed. Just my opinion though and its a subject that divides most.
    I think I'd agree with this. I normally try to be at least reasonably objective (don't always succeed...), but I really do think Balestre was showing favouritism to Prost. I think the Senna disqualification at Suzuka '89 was fishy. What on earth was Senna supposed to do, considering HE had been taken off the circwuit (sic)? I think he did the safest thing possible rather than drive the wrong way to make the corner.

If it's true that pole position was changed on the day for 1990, then I would have to say it looks like favouritism. I agree that it's the politics more than the crash that causes a problem for me. I would never condone driving a rival off as he did, but I understand how Senna must have felt ganged-up on by the FIA with the lack of justice. Just IMO also.

But at least the 1990 crash caused Roberto Moreno and Aguri Suzuki for Larrousse to score podiums!
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    3. Spygate 2007 was a huge scandal. Alonso, De La Rosa, Coughlan and several other McLaren engineers attempted to pull of one of the biggest cheats in the sports history, if not the biggest. How the team and drivers got off without long term bans I will never know. McLaren would have been sensible to sack all those involved with immediate effect IMO but got off rather lightly with a fine.

4. Crashgate 2008 was stupidity on a grand scale. I think more people knew about it than was ever revealed but it exposed fixing can come to any sport. The FIA acted correctly with banning certain members but could have gone a lot deeper.
    I agree with those. The most embarrassing thing is that Alonso knew of both instances and somehow he got off free. He should have been banned for a year at least after 2007 and only someone with the IQ of fruitfly would think he didn't know what Piquet was going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    The moment DRS became official.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    Justice. Prost rammed him out in 1989 and Balestre screwed him in both 1989 and 1990. He put the end on the love affair of Prost and Balestre. Good job.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    I agree with those. The most embarrassing thing is that Alonso knew of both instances and somehow he got off free. He should have been banned for a year at least after 2007 and only someone with the IQ of fruitfly would think he didn't know what Piquet was going to do.
    I think it's most embarrassing when people don't understand the concept of immunity.
    Alonso's whistle-blowing and his and de la Rosa's e-mails and testimony were instrumental to prove McLaren were cheating back then.

Regarding Crashgate I only think someone with the IQ of a fruitfly would not understand that in order to find a team guilty of wrongdoing the FIA needs proof. The only substantial proof was Nelsinho's testimony in which he explicitly mentioned Alonso not being involved in the conspiracy.

Both Macca cheating and Crashgate have tainted the sport I agree but in the former he should be commended for blowing the whistle on McLaren and in the latter he was not complicit.

Simples
    tifosigirl

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie.S
    I think it's most embarrassing when people don't understand the concept of immunity.
    And even more embarrassing when people insist on posting after drinking 0,7 litres of vodka.

Alonso's whistle-blowing and his and de la Rosa's e-mails and testimony were instrumental to prove McLaren were cheating back then.
    Alonso was one of the main cheaters in the whole affair and had more knowledge of things than pretty much anyone in the team. His fame and status rescued him, otherwise his ass would have been grilled properly.

Regarding Crashgate I only think someone with the IQ of a fruitfly would not understand that in order to find a team guilty of wrongdoing the FIA needs proof. The only substantial proof was Nelsinho's testimony in which he explicitly mentioned Alonso not being involved in the conspiracy.
    Look fruity, Alonso approached that race with a tactic that could work only 1 way - if SC appeared right after he pitted. Otherwise that strategy was going to completely ruin his race. Everyone always talked about how close Alonso worked with the team and those with good sense always are going to ask - hmm, the guy is suggested a completely stupid strategy, why would he accept.

Both Macca cheating and Crashgate have tainted the sport I agree but in the former he should be commended for blowing the whistle on McLaren and in the latter he was not complicit.
    Commended? I apologize for that 0,7 litre of vodka remark, it is probably more like 1,5 litres.
    He was one of the main cheaters in the whole affair and there is NOTHING he should be commended about.
    Alonso is true mr.teflon for getting away unhurt from 2 huge scandals.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

F1 moments you feel have tainted the sport the most!

Alonso was a cheater turned grass in the spygate scandal. Hardly anything to commend.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Alonso was one of the main cheaters in the whole affair and had more knowledge of things than pretty much anyone in the team. His fame and status rescued him, otherwise his ass would have been grilled properly.
    OK so we now can conclude that the concept of immunity has completely gone over your head.

Fame and status had nothing to do with it, all 3 drivers (Alonso, de la Rosa and Hamilton) received immunity.
    Without their testimony (PdlR and Fred that is) and evidence the cheaters could not have been caught.
    They did the sport a service as far as I'm (and FIA are) concerned, too bad Bernie saved Macca from expulsion.

Look fruity, Alonso approached that race with a tactic that could work only 1 way - if SC appeared right after he pitted. Otherwise that strategy was going to completely ruin his race. Everyone always talked about how close Alonso worked with the team and those with good sense always are going to ask - hmm, the guy is suggested a completely stupid strategy, why would he accept.
    Hmm also the concept of proof seems lost on you.
    Without proof people are not convicted in civilised countries.
    The only proof in this matter was the testimony of Nelsinho and he explicitly testified that Alonso was not involved in the conspiracy.

Both Spygate and Crashgate did taint the sport but in the first he helped bring justice to the perpetrators and in the second he had no knowledge of the crime.
    FIA officially thanked Fernando Alonso for his cooperation in both cases.
    I think I'll go with the FIA rather than with some poster with a chip on his shoulder about Fred
    tifosigirl