Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    I know that this was going to come up, and I believe that the Liegate affair was just blown out of proportion. Everyone lies if it's beneficial for them - it's just that Lewis and Macca did it in a particularly dumb way. I don't think this was really so bad, and hardly everyone remembers that these days. The same can't be said for Spygate and Crashgate, though.
    It hurts F1's image in that a team tried to cheat in such a moronic and public way and for a second thought they could possibly get away with it.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    It hurts F1's image in that a team tried to cheat in such a moronic and public way and for a second thought they could possibly get away with it.
    They often do.

Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    1) Left hand helping the right.

2) Bending the rules.

3) Question for you: How much did McLaren pay??

None of that is as bad as having a public recording of you saying something, and lying to the world about it after they heard it.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Of course it's not lol. Crashgate and spygate were on a different scale to the rest as proved by the outcome and public condemnation. If telling lies in press conferences and interviews was worse then we'd have every driver and team principle constantly hooked up to a lie detector on the Jeremy Kyle show

Sent from my 

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Of course it's not lol. Crashgate and spygate were on a different scale to the rest as proved by the outcome and public condemnation. If telling lies in press conferences and interviews was worse then we'd have every driver and team principle constantly hooked up to a lie detector on the Jeremy Kyle show

Sent from my 
    Referring to links in post #22 not spygate and crashgate.

And wow at Jeremy Kyle.
    I thought Jerry Springer was bad.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    And wow at Jeremy Kyle.
    I thought Jerry Springer was bad.
    Yeah Jeremy Kyle is just hard work to watch. Chavs with no idea how to live or behave. Lying is a regular theme though just like F1 lol.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie.S
    It seems some here seem fail to understand the concept of immunity.

Without Fernando whistle-blowing on the McLaren cheaters it would have been nigh impossible for FIA to convict the cheaters at McLaren as the first WMSC hearing proved.

Without Nelsinho's testimony it would have been impossible to nail Briatore and Symonds.
    Also he confirmed that Alonso was not complicit to Crashgate.
    Same ole, same ole. When will you ever change your tune

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    USGP 2005 - 6 cars starting a race is a joke, particularly when the problems were known and were caused by a re-paving of the track which was then consequently diamond ground to ensure that Indycars could drive flat out in the turns which made the surface enxtremely adbrasive. Bridgestone had a massive advantage on this one as they knew the track surface at Indy intimately as they were the sole tyre supplier to Indycar (via thier Firestone brand), whereas Michelin had made some fantastic tyres for 2005 but had mistakenly made them to run on a race track, not a surface with qualities akin to sand paper! The fact that the race organisers, the teams, the tyre suppliers, FOM and the FIA couldnt come up with a viable solution to the problem just smacks of incompetance, though Max Moseley has said since that the FIA couldnt have done anything with regards altering the track without breaking thier own practices & procedures regarding safety, so in the circumstances the teams did the only thing they could do, again, in the interests of safety and parked the cars after the parade lap. This debacle gave Ferrari thier only win of 2005 in what should have been a winless season for them, many were quick to blame the tyres but the truth of the matter is that the car was a fresh Aldo Costa led design that simply didnt work, Rory Byrne was much more involved in the 2006 car which with better Bridgestones (which they were once again allowed to change during the race) they were once again able to challenge for the championship with.

FISA vs. FOCA 1980-1982 - This wasnt just an isolated incident, more a series of battles as war raged between FISA, the sporting arm of the FIA at the time which was alligned with the non-British Manufacturer teams such as Ferrari & Alfa Romeo vs. FOCA, representing the mainly british independant teams that wanted thier share of the revenues from the sport. The first battle was fought at the 1980 Spanish GP, where FOCA teams and drivers had been fined for not attending drivers briefings at previous races and they stated if the fines were not paid that they would not be allowed to compete. After much debate the FOCA teams raced but FISA refused to sanction it and the non-FOCA teams withdrew making the 1980 Spanish GP a non-championship race (which at the time wasnt uncommon, but a race switching from a championship to a non-championship race mid-weekend was!). The next battle was FOCA creating the soft lived WFM (World Federation of Motorsport) and actually running a grand prix under the WFM banner, but lack of manufacturer presence and fan interest curtailed this and after a lot of groveling the FOCA teams were allowed to race in the FISA run F1 World Championship. 1982 was when a number of incidents happened which were to eventually end the war. First off was the 1982 South African GP where FISA introdcued a new super licence, one of th clauses of which was that the drivers were only allowed to drive for the teams to which they were contracted. The drivers felt that this was a restriction to thier freedom so to voice thier displeasure they went on strike, which was only broken when FISA agreed to drop the clause. The next battle was fought over the legality of water cooled brakes, which was essentially a device to allow teams to run under the minimum legal weight but after the race, as was practice at the time, all fluids were topped up before the car was weighed, with water cooled brakes this included filling up a water tank to bring the car up to the legal limit. Piquet won in Brazil with Rosberg 2nd, both running this spec of car, which Renault (who came 3rd) protested. At the next race, as if to prove a point, Ferrari ran a double rear wing, with each win being the maximum width but with each wing offset to either side the car if was effectively a single wing almost twice the width that the rules allowed. Villeneuve finished 3rd and was disqualified, shortly afterwards both Piquet and Rosberg were disqualified from Brazil for running underweight. This resulted in the FOCA teams boycotting the San Marino GP (though Tyrell and Toleman broke the boycott citing "sponsorship commitments") so only 13 cars started at Imola, though what happened in the race over-shadowed the boycott as Pironi beat Villeneuve to the flag against team orders. It was during this period that FOCA and FISA agreed the first Concorde Agreement which let FOCA deal with the commercial side of the sport and the FIA deal with the safety and regulations.

As for the various "gates", they are scandals but only implicated certain teams, whereas the 2 outlined above really affected the entire sport.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    None of that is as bad as having a public recording of you saying something, and lying to the world about it after they heard it.
    Well, I guess this is a personal matter. Quite frankly, I believe that all the reaction about the Liegate affair was disproportionate, but I admit that some people might think differently. Of the previous references I made, the Renault-McLaren espionage case was way worse (IMHO), yet it was given very little attention. I believe there is a significant difference between a driver and its team lying to the stewards about an isolated incident and copying another team's designs, and I believe the latter is way worse.

That said, now I've noticed that the thread is about which moments have tainted F1 the most, while I was analyzing it from a moral standpoint. I still think that the incidents I mentioned (or linked to) in my previous post were significantly worse, yet they were given less attention than Liegate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Schumacher for all his BS and Cheating.

The 1994 Bentton did have illegal TC and Launch control, the software deleted itself when the engine was switched off. Jos Verstappen has confirmed it. MS also had an Illegal fuel rig. Cheat.

MS crashing into Hill in Oz, cheat.

MS not properly serving a stop go penalty in Silverstone. Cheat

MS crashing into JV in 97, banned from the championship. Cheat

MS refusing to return [after he broke his leg] to help Ervine have a shot at the WDC. He was ordered to return by Luca. He said he wasn't ready, but then played football!! Twat.

MS having all team mates on a "dont beat me" contract, and having the FIA on his side, all totally unfair but then MS was swanning around like he owned the place beleiving in his own BS. Unsporting in the extreme.

MS parking at the rascasse. What a dirty scumbag.

His many records mean nothing to real Sports fans, his whole career was based on BS and unfair advantages.

My 2p.