Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Intro to me and Austin

Hello I am posting this first and then going to read all the FAQs. Long history in racing. All my uncles came back from WWII and started competing dirt track and salt flats. I'm 70 now... I was raised on the smell. I will be attending my first F1 GP this November in Austin TX. I have premium seating at turn 15. Ticket for just one required that I take out a second mortgage on my house... had no idea it was so expensive to watch. I have been reading all I can about this kind of racing and its all good but have some unanswered questions. I will bring my big headphone with a radio built in. Will it be radio-cast? I read somewhere that the SPEED channel will carry it. Will it be live? What do I need to view TV (I have a lap top) Is there likely to be food and beer nearby? One post I saw said that the crew tweet a lot during the race? Thanks all Ron PS I may refuse to believe an internal combustion engine can rev 20k... I will be a skeptic until I see (hear) it for myself.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    All of your questions are valid but I have no idea about radio. You should know one thing; I sat at T15 (turn 15) section 9 last race and it has one very distinct advantage, you can see the end of the back straight where Hamilton passed SV for P1 and the eventual race win. It is also where the cars are going the slowest as turn 15 ends the stadium complex of turns, however it is about as far away from a big screen as you can get and need to use binoculars if you want to be able to read practice and quali times as they are shown on the world feed. Any and all alcohol is available in the facility, although you are not allowed to bring any in.
    Hold your horses you will learn all you need to know before the race is too near. Here is a list of what was not allowed in last year but may change this year.
    Prohibited Items | Circuit of The Americas - Home of the Formula 1 US Grand Prix | Nov. 16-18, 2012 | Austin TX
    BTW pneumatic valves allow these very short stroke engines to rev well above 20,000 rpms; however they are currently limited to 18,000rpm AFAIK. Feel free to send me a personal message for more info.

"The Boss" on his victory lap right after passing around turn 15.
    May the forza be with you

double post

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Taz. Did you go to the Austin race last year? Im getting some mixed signals.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well old timer, you will have a hell of a time. A F1 car going past at a paltry 18k revs will have you reachng for a pack of Kleenex!! Seriously, it's great fun and smeone with a Pedigree like yours will be in 7th Heaven.

Austin will also be a superb circuit to watch from. Not only is it very user friendly but the City of Austin is one of the Friendliest on the Calendar. The Dr and I will both probably be there next year and I'm sure if you like a bit of good ole Rock then we can take you to a few bars on 6th that will get your pace maker racing!!

You will have a blast, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Taz. Did you go to the Austin race last year? Im getting some mixed signals.
    Is this a trick question? pin:

Do not encourage me!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Austin

Thanks gentlemen -- I like Austin -- It is much more cosmopolitan than anywhere else in Texas that I have visited -- We even went to Austin City Limits 30 years ago when PBS was doing it -- I read a post from one guy that said he watches the race on The Speed Channel on his lap top while he is watching the race -- have to figure out how to do that -- I always thought reciprocating mass is what limited our gasers to less than 10000rpm -- interesting thing, pneumatic valve springs -- Traveling down from Utah in RV to visit Big Ben NP, then Austin, then heading to New Orleans with a stop in Lockhart for BBQ, back to visit my son in Dallas then back home before Thanksgiving -- will look for dirt tracks as I go -- just figured out there can't be much reciprocating mass in a 2.4 liter V8 -- that would help.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Utah Racer,

Do some searches for F1 piston photos, F1 engine tests, etc and you'll find exactly what you are looking for. I know there is video of a Cosworth engine turning over 20,000 revs on a test stand. If you are into the technical side of things you can find info on instantaneous velocity and such things, and it's amazing stuff.

Here is a video of one of the "older" 3 liter V10 engines that didn't rev as high.

Arrows F1 Engine Test (Minardi) - YouTube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The old engines used to top 20k revs but are limited as has been said to 18k. Next year, I think they will be further reduced to 15k.

Intro to me and Austin

Could be a good way of getting a few more of Reds fishing reports too. Welcome Louis. As the others have said, would love to hear a bit more from you and what you get up to.