Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

Baltimore Grand Prix

There is a 1/4 page ad in the Baltimore Sun today promoing the Labor day race and opening ticket sales. Nice to see some early promotion for a race for a change.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Baltimore, St. Pete, and a few other events used the tried and true LBGP method of actually promoting the events. They get the advertisements out early, each has a show car that makes the rounds at local malls, usually with a video monitor, and advance ticket sales.

They use a volunteer force, again like the "Committee of 300" (if they are still around) from LBGP.

Very good to see them getting out early, and hopefully they can get the RR tracks sorted!!!!
    Green, Green, Green!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye
    Very good to see them getting out early, and hopefully they can get the RR tracks sorted!!!!
    That'll be hard to do, given that the tracks run through an intersection in daily use up to the day of the race and must be reopened on Sunday evening. The tracks at Camden Yard are relatively easy to do because they are not actually in a street there.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    That'll be hard to do, given that the tracks run through an intersection in daily use up to the day of the race and must be reopened on Sunday evening. The tracks at Camden Yard are relatively easy to do because they are not actually in a street there.

We have some track crossings in a couple of places in Cincinnati that are baby's butt smooth. There is some sort of metal grate between the tracks and a similar piece on either side that is even with the pavement. Next time I am nearby I'll take some pictures. But these particular crossings seem to me to be less of an issue than most manholes. These suckers are absolutely dead flat with the pavement on either side.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree wth Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    We have some track crossings in a couple of places in Cincinnati that are baby's butt smooth. There is some sort of metal grate between the tracks and a similar piece on either side that is even with the pavement. Next time I am nearby I'll take some pictures. But these particular crossings seem to me to be less of an issue than most manholes. These suckers are absolutely dead flat with the pavement on either side.

Gary
    We were told the run up to the tracks would be smoother, and it apepars some work was done before last year's race but not enough. We've been told that this is going to be addressed for next year, but we'll see. A bit worrysome givent the financial state of the city. I guess the worse case scenario is moving the outside wall back a bit, and adding the chicane, as we did last year, but it was not ideal.

The problem is not the rails themselves, it is that track crossing sits a bit higher, so you basically have a ramp leading up to that, with a drop on the otherside. We had similar issues in San Jose.
    Green, Green, Green!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye
    We were told the run up to the tracks would be smoother, and it apepars some work was done before last year's race but not enough. We've been told that this is going to be addressed for next year, but we'll see. A bit worrysome givent the financial state of the city. I guess the worse case scenario is moving the outside wall back a bit, and adding the chicane, as we did last year, but it was not ideal.

The problem is not the rails themselves, it is that track crossing sits a bit higher, so you basically have a ramp leading up to that, with a drop on the otherside. We had similar issues in San Jose.
    Yep, I understand. My point was that it will be difficult to fix because of the configuration of the regular pavement there and the need to have the intersection open up to and immediately after the race. Otherwise they could just temporarily pave over the tracks the same as is done at the Camden Yards entrance.
    -- Smokey Stover