Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: F1 2013 Testing

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    The tyres are the same for everybody. If somone's tyres wear out, it's up to them and the team to stop it from happening. It's a challenge, and it's the same challenge for everybody. I think it encourages intelligent driving too, which I don't think is a terrible thing.

In any case, I think F1 is better now than it was in 2002.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    The tyres are the same for everybody. If somone's tyres wear out, it's up to them and the team to stop it from happening. It's a challenge, and it's the same challenge for everybody. I think it encourages intelligent driving too, which I don't think is a terrible thing.
    I prefer to see the best drivers in the world race their cars to the very limit of the car and their own ability, not try to follow a delta time to save tyres. That is not F1.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    I prefer to see the best drivers in the world race their cars to the very limit of the car and their own ability, not try to follow a delta time to save tyres. That is not F1.
    I agree Gary.

Although it jumbles up the order, for me it is in the same bracket as DRS.

I too ultimately would prefer to see an end to the rule saying you must use both tyre types and just give the drivers and teams hard and soft tyres and let them loose to push 100% all race long.

It was the same in 2005 when you had to make tyres last the race. It was interesting but ultimately to the F1 should be.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    No proper race fan would of course want to see something like that, but TV ratings are determined more by those with IQ close to that of a donkey.
    That's a bit rude to donkeys, isn't it?
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    I too ultimately would prefer to see an end to the rule saying you must use both tyre types and just give the drivers and teams hard and soft tyres and let them loose to push 100% all race long.
    The "use both types of tyre" rule seems a bit unnecessary now doesn't it.

The only worry I would have with getting rid of it is that it might hand a bigger advantage to those able to save more of the preferred tyre from qualifying, resulting in more people choosing not to run in Q2 or Q3.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    The "use both types of tyre" rule seems a bit unnecessary now doesn't it.

The only worry I would have with getting rid of it is that it might hand a bigger advantage to those able to save more of the preferred tyre from qualifying, resulting in more people choosing not to run in Q2 or Q3.
    That is true.

The only way you could change that I suppose is to allow qualifying tyres seperate from Race Tyres.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Well said Garry, I couldn't agree more...

F1 should not be about endurance. Funny enough, the tyres wont be the only factor to follow a delta time for next year.. yep...fuel economy! Mercedes are on record as saying that fastest laps may not equate to the fastest race next year.... well tbh Merc, its actually already been like that for the last few years to some extent in case you haven't noticed . What is the sport coming to... Diesel F1 cars next?

As 'Wayne' correctly points out on James Allens blog.. A glimpse into how F1 will change in 2014James Allen on F1

"This is the world’s premiere motorsport formula right? Should we not expect to see these guys driving their cars on the limit as much as possible, that’s where their talent lies isn’t it? I love strategy and intrigue but F1 can and will go to far – these guys should be racing above all else.

I want to see the fastest drivers in the world driving the fastest cars in the world on the limit. I want tyre squeal, smoke, the risk of running wide without run-off areas larger and smoother than the deck of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.

I want fire and brimstone, sweating brows and nervous moments of incredible tension. I want F1 drivers to be allowed to overtake without consulting an overbearing rule book, booking a slot on the track a week in advance, pressing a button and pulling alongside in a carefully choreographed move.

F1 should not be out to save the world, I don’t give a rat’s ass about the emissions of an F1 car especially they are totally overshadowed by the logistical costs of flying to empty circuits in parts of the world that care nothing for F1, purely for cash. Hypocritical does not even begin to describe it.

F1 will end up as an immaculately presented excercise in spin and PR, clean, sterile, contrived and false. I don’t want the motorsport version of American wrestling!

Dear God will someone listen! I do realise that the entire world revolves aorund money, and people will do anything to get more of it that they can possibly spend but F1 has history and heritage, F1 is a SPORT (or was depending on how far gone you think it already is).

The ****** FIA and BE need to just STOP. Take a breath, relax for a year and think on what F1 should be."

****** good post btw Wayne, get your ass over here.

.... and BREATHE!!!!... rant over... whew!
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    They were among the slowest on the straights last year, too - doesn't mean much unless they want to take up drag racing.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    They were among the slowest on the straights last year, too - doesn't mean much unless they want to take up drag racing.
    Indeed, and with Marussia-Cosworth the fastest, I don't think it's an indication of anything other than how much wing the cars were running.