Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Casey and the Supercars.

I thought I might have a go at getting a thread of ideas from motorsport fans (that's you guys), not necessarily MotoGP fans, but certainly familiar with bike racing - how do you think Casey Stoner might fare in the rough and tumble of Touring Car racing? He follows in some large footsteps, not the least of whose are John Surtees, as a rider and World Champion (dual?), and Our Wayne - though he suffered the bad timing to be part of an era in V8SC where bif and barge were not strictly controlled enough, and suffered as a consequence (yes, he created enough of his own chaos, but more than a few impressive races from Gardener were brought to a premature end by stupid good ol' boy driving). Anyway, I digress...

Q&A: Casey Stoner on his new career in V8 Supercars

PS. Please, no fanboi's and crash.net type discourse, the whole Valentino/Casey thing is done to death.

I think he has done a savvy thing by signing the one year contract. As many others have noted, It would be as low-key as possible as a former motorcycling World Champ having a red-hot go at racing cars can be in this country. I will probably go to the Clipsal 500 this year and I know several other bike racing fans, who are not necessarily V8SC fans that are planning to attend so to see Stoner have his first gallop in a race situation. Cross-over interest? Looks like it to me.

Agostini keeps eye on Stoner

A little old news-wise, but an interesting perspective none the less, from a former Motorcycle WC who had a tilt at cars.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    The timing of several announcements lead me to believe that 888 have picked up Stoner in the hope of maybe finding a faster co-driver than Warren Luff for Craig Lowndes. If the gamble works, they'd have got him on the cheap.

I suspect that the reason why they wanted Stoner at all was because they couldn't lure Greg Murphy who had more lucrative offer at HRT. Lowndes/Murphy would be a pretty safe sort of bet for Bathurst and Sandown.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    The timing of several announcements lead me to believe that 888 have picked up Stoner in the hope of maybe finding a faster co-driver than Warren Luff for Craig Lowndes. If the gamble works, they'd have got him on the cheap..
    You are likely bang-on there, Rollo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=lQEdM7jGNQw#!

The publicity and media attention he brings to 888 in particular and V8SC in general would probably outstrip any outlay they would have paid to get him on board. Allied with Red Bull, things are looking interesting.

And some more news - the hospital where I work is practically on the Wakefield St corner - We will certainly be able to hear them in theatre!

Casey Stoner nervous ahead of V8 Supercar debut - Speedcafe

Some stuff about CS27 and his first real hit-out in racing conditions in a V8SC - 8th fastest after 2nd practice ain't too bad for a newby.

Casey Stoner impresses in first V8 Supercar sessions | News.com.au

And another little snippet from Speedcafe, this time from team principle Roland Dane

Dane tipping Stoner to surprise in Dunlop Series - Speedcafe

I am impressed! A rookie mistake on friday, finishing deep in the mid-field from last position today.

IMO, the crowd at the track on thursday was substantially down to CS27. 43,000 people attended a race day where the main-game cars weren't even heard, much less seen. This is apparently a record for the Clipsal.

He has been inundated with media this weekend, the Dunlop Series, the feeder series for the V8SC (as you all probably know) has never had such a profile. Seriously, no-one knows about the Dunlop Series outside of us anoraks. They have suddenly assumed a profile they might not have anticipated.

CS27 drove a good meeting for his first ever on four wheels, given everything.

Casey Stoner: Jury still out on my V8 career chances - Speedcafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Interesting, and disappointing, that a thread about a bike rider in the feeder series has more interest than the actual Championship ....

WT
    Winner 2012 F1 Fantasy Racers at fantasyracers.com. Winner 2013 FGP.

Never stop believing...

More news on our intrepid former world MotoGP champ;

More V8 Supercar miles for Casey Stoner - Speedcafe