Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Utter nonsense. I have no dislike for your country whatsoever, so enough of the victim mentality. The notion of disliking an entire country is an absurd one. I don't even think it's an especially controversial statement to say that American politics have become overly polarised, and this strikes me as highly relevant to the matter in hand.
    Victim mentality. Yes, you like to trot out that one when you cannot defend yourself. This is a divorce thread, not a politics thread. You piggy-backed on unsubstantiated comments in The Star (gossip rag) to condemn our government, which you did in the Sandy Hook thread. But not only did you disparage American domestic politics (which was on-topic in that thread) you also felt a need to express your disdain of American international politics--which was off-topic.

About disliking an entire country: let's not resort to semantics--you know what I meant. I'm reasonably certain you could find something to like here, but I've never seen you post about it, so I concluded that you don't much like this country. Prove me wrong.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Victim mentality. Yes, you like to trot out that one when you cannot defend yourself. This is a divorce thread, not a politics thread. You piggy-backed on unsubstantiated comments in The Star (gossip rag) to condemn our government, which you did in the Sandy Hook thread. But not only did you disparage American domestic politics (which was on-topic in that thread) you also felt a need to express your disdain of American international politics--which was off-topic.
    Others started going on about politics, in as much as they expressed the view that the political views of one party in the divorce case were highly relevant to said story. Thus, they are relevant to the thread and related discussion. If you read my posts properly, you'll see that in no way have I commented on the veracity of the newspaper claims as to the reasons for the divorce; rather, I was remarking unfavourably on certain comments in this thread. Others, you will note, have agreed.

And I will continue to be disparaging about US policy whenever I feel it's justified and germane. Such is the nature of free expression.

Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    About disliking an entire country: let's not resort to semantics--you know what I meant. I'm reasonably certain you could find something to like here, but I've never seen you post about it, so I concluded that you don't much like this country. Prove me wrong.
    No semantics involved here at all. Just because every post relating to the US isn't an intimate paean of praise doesn't mean to say I don't much like the country. Unfortunately, my negative views tend to be the ones that get confirmed more often than not on these forums.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    And I will continue to be disparaging about US policy whenever I feel it's justified and germane.
    Which from you is pretty much 24/7/365.

Others started going on about politics, in as much as they expressed the view that the political views of one party in the divorce case were highly relevant to said story. Thus, they are relevant to the thread and related discussion.
    Also, just went back and checked the posts in the thread. Thirty one of them, counting yours, and only a couple had any political content at all. A few referred to her wanting to run for office and it being opposed to Dario's wish for a quieter life - hardly rampant political expression. As usual, you have misrepresented things in order to justify your desire to trash all things either American or less than very left wing politically.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gentlemen,

I have deleted a handful of messages in this thread. I warned folks earlier that I will NOT let this thread deteriorate into a political discussion. It had started to do just that and I have acted on my warning. To be clear some of the messages I deleted were admonishments to the posters involved but were deleted too, since there was no longer any context.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.