Page 211 of 340 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261311 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 3395
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Yes. However, it's a shame we got to see so little of the Sport Quattro S1 E2 with the big wings. It sure seemed competitive with the cars it raced against, albeit having a more traditional construction.

2. Likes: pantealex (19th April 2020)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    all of these, Citroen did for a decade.Nothing new.Plenty of money,proffesionalism,cars fast out of the box,dominating etc
    If Citroen were so great for so long that makes what VW did to them all the more impressive.
    #M-SPORTER

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    If Citroen were so great for so long that makes what VW did to them all the more impressive.
    It helped that certain a Citroen driver quit his career.

5. Likes: Rally Power (18th April 2020),tommeke_B (18th April 2020)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Also VW came in 2013 with their car, after a long development program, and learning from pro and cons from already existing cars. Citroën and Ford had their cars homologated in 2011, with limited options for modifications afterwards, while VW arrived with things they could not implement/change anymore (as they only had some jokers to spend). It's not like with the current generation where all started at the same time and have equal possibilities for further development. Next year we could see a repeat of this story when Toyota arrives with their new WRCar.

7. Likes: AnttiL (18th April 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Audi dominated the rallies when they had 4WD and others didn't, but the cars were too unreliable (and hard to service in the African rallies). Right when other teams came out with 4WD cars, Audi started to fall behind.
    Audi’s major problem was the board refusal to allow a radical change in the Quattro layout, by creating a more balanced central engine proto; it was considered to distant from the brand production standards. The story about the efforts of the rally staff to build the central engine Quattro can be read in the notable ‘Rally Gr.B Shrine’ site: https://rallygroupbshrine.org/group-...02-gr-s-proto/
    Rally addict since 1982

9. Likes: AnttiL (18th April 2020),cali (18th April 2020),Rallyper (18th April 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Audi’s major problem was the board refusal to allow a radical change in the Quattro layout, by creating a more balanced central engine proto; it was considered to distant from the brand production standards. The story about the efforts of the rally staff to build the central engine Quattro can be read in the notable ‘Rally Gr.B Shrine’ site: https://rallygroupbshrine.org/group-...02-gr-s-proto/
    Yes, and the team even secretly developed a mid-engine Quattro

Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Yes, and the team even secretly developed a mid-engine Quattro
    I’ve read this article a while ago, and it’s a great story....the competition department and engineers knew what they needed to beat the Peugeot/Lancia, and despite knowing deep down they would almost certainly never be allowed to compete with the mid-engine car, they went and built them anyway, for themselves basically...I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the Audi board found out what they had been doing!
    It’s such a shame that none of those mid engine sport quattros survived....

12. Likes: AnttiL (18th April 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    I’ve read this article a while ago, and it’s a great story....the competition department and engineers knew what they needed to beat the Peugeot/Lancia, and despite knowing deep down they would almost certainly never be allowed to compete with the mid-engine car, they went and built them anyway, for themselves basically...I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the Audi board found out what they had been doing!
    It’s such a shame that none of those mid engine sport quattros survived....
    Only the futuristic Group S proto survived and was driven in Goodwood recently by Mikkola

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    It’s fair to say that until the mid 10’s there were still sporty models in the Citroen range and some of those were even converted into low or mid budget rally cars (ZX, Saxo, C2, DS3) but after that it was a bit painful to see Citroen WRC effort getting so disconnected from their general production.
    What happened to Citroen, and their range of sporty cars? One of the greatest wastes of a successful motorsport programme I can recall. I remember the mid/late 90s - and Citroen did have a few decent 'performance' cars; ZX 16V, the Saxo VTS/VTR, Xsara VTS/VTR. In fact I nearly bought a Saxo VTS in 1998, but opted for a Seat Ibiza GTi.
    Since then apart from the DS3 Racing, its been largely forgettable - with the 'by Loeb' cars an utter travesty. I do remember a quote from Citroen UK saying they didn't wish to use motorsport in their marketing.......(from the time when it was rumoured they might help with funding for McRae in 2004)

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

15. Likes: doubled1978 (19th April 2020)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Here in the Uk the Saxo VTR/VTS were massively popular. I had a modified VTS and it was fantastic fun and cheap to run. I did track days with it and there were dozens of them around with many hugely modified. They were the car to have for the young enthusiast.

Citroen could've capitalised even more with Loeb's WRC success but dropped the ball with the C2 which just looked so wrong that no-one wanted one.

Nowadays they are heavily promoting the comfort and relaxed drive of their cars. I dont know how a WRC C3 ever got funding at all.