Page 105 of 336 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 3353
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    It just takes a tiiiiny bit of knowledge of physics and chemistry (understanding the difference in energy density between petrol and any practical or theoretical or yet-to-be-conceived-of battery technology) to realize that electric cars are an absurdly stupid idea forced on the public by bureaucrats and politicians who don't know anything except how to manipulate people.

There is no battery technology coming that will compete with a liquid hydrocarbon like petrol, because it is not physically possible in our universe to have a higher energy density than a liquid hydrocarbon, unless you're talking about putting miniature nuclear reactors in everyone's car.

Everyone who has ever promised you that that revolutionary battery technology is around the corner is either clueless or lying.

Liked 248 Times in 125 Posts
    It's hard to imagine, that WRC could be left only ones with petrol engines when everyone else go electric. Batteries may not be problem, they could replace them in refueling zones, but I think it would be hard enough to create electric car to suit various surfaces, average speeds, etc. Formula E doing OK, but conditions there are pretty much same in all circuits.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Rally is not held on closed circuits with specially trained marshals and no access for spectators, i.e. there must be a safety concern.

And frankly if WRC stays with combustion engines I would be only happy.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: pantealex (29th November 2017),PLuto (28th November 2017)
    Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    As long as they could make a great sound even with electric power it doesn't matter, it will be fast and exciting. (and not that squeking like old twingo inside the cabin)

Yeah, it would be very hard to create safe and spectacular electric rally cars, while electric motors are very powerful, create gears, who reduce torque means no good on gravel, reduce top speed - always on "rev limiter", and etc.
    Rally should be with cars with combustion engines, but it's more political thing about green energy and whatever. I'd be ok with R5-ish rally cars as top category in case of green peace activist campaign against WRC rally cars, as long as it be internal combustion.

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by electroliquid View Post
    It's hard to imagine, that WRC could be left only ones with petrol engines when everyone else go electric.
    I am not sure if everyone will go electric, only in case some big revolutionary invention. Actual electric cars cannot survive without big financial support from government.

Quote Originally Posted by ESTR View Post
    As long as they could make a great sound even with electric power it doesn't matter, it will be fast and exciting. (and not that squeking like old twingo inside the cabin)
    I don't completely understand all complaining about sound - yes it's important; but formula 1 become boring not due to V6 turbo sound...
    Rally, as all other motorsport, should be safe, then should be affordable for manufacturers to compete, and interesting to spectate or even to be interested in it. If they build monster electric cars with 2000Nm engines and add special sound effects, it not work as great thing...But if rally don't evolve, it will die, now it's not in best shape and this continues long time..

Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    I am not sure if everyone will go electric, only in case some big revolutionary invention. Actual electric cars cannot survive without big financial support from government.
    I hope not, but there is Formula E, talks about WRX electric, so step by step..

Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by electroliquid View Post
    I don't completely understand all complaining about sound - yes it's important; but formula 1 become boring not due to V6 turbo sound...
    Now imagine a trolley bus sound instead of that turbo charged V6 hybrid powerunit sound. Sound plays a very big role how people perceive "speed" and "power". There is a video of an electric rally cross car on the web somewhere. Watch it and then come back with the sound topic.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

11. Likes: Mirek (28th November 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Now imagine a trolley bus sound instead of that turbo charged V6 hybrid powerunit sound. Sound plays a very big role how people perceive "speed" and "power". There is a video of an electric rally cross car on the web somewhere. Watch it and then come back with the sound topic.
    As I said sound is important, but it's not main thing - there is safety issues, engineering challenges to create car suited for rally. Sound is not MAIN factor about yes/no to electric rally cars. But add fake sound is not solution; so maybe hybrid is?..