Threaded View

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    I don't consider myself an electric car proponent by any means and drive a diesel right now, but I find this discussion extremely funny to the point of falling off my chair.

Sure electric cars have their disadvantages, but they also have advantages. Some of these "facts" against electric cars here are downright hilarious.

Just from a quick scroll:

Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    It just takes a tiiiiny bit of knowledge of physics and chemistry (understanding the difference in energy density between petrol and any practical or theoretical or yet-to-be-conceived-of battery technology) to realize that electric cars are an absurdly stupid idea forced on the public by bureaucrats and politicians who don't know anything except how to manipulate people.

There is no battery technology coming that will compete with a liquid hydrocarbon like petrol, because it is not physically possible in our universe to have a higher energy density than a liquid hydrocarbon, unless you're talking about putting miniature nuclear reactors in everyone's car.
    Energy density is totally the only thing that matters when it comes to energy sources.... ohh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by electroliquid View Post
    Yeah, it would be very hard to create safe and spectacular electric rally cars, while electric motors are very powerful, create gears, who reduce torque means no good on gravel, reduce top speed - always on "rev limiter", and etc.
    Gears - what? You can do with just 1 fixed gear without changes, like just about all electric vehicles do.
    No good on gravel - Uhh, either electronically or manually (so-called throttle pedal) you just control the amount of torque put to the wheels. Throttle response in electronic system could be just about anything (exponential for example). It's not like current electric cars just spin in one spot on ice continously today you know
    ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1WAOLh2rE )

Top/speed rev-limiter - What are you talking about again, WRC cars today have ~ 200 kph top speed, electric cars have that or higher as well.

-----------------

Only argument that has some validity out of those shown here is danger of battery fire. Then again petrol in combination with hot engine parts/exhaust/brakes is not exactly fireproof either. Some group B cars surely are a proof of that. In a competition car the battery could be in the middle of the car protected by the rollcage + some hard foam or similar against other impacts.

--------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    I am not sure if everyone will go electric, only in case some big revolutionary invention. Actual electric cars cannot survive without big financial support from government.
    This is true right now. In the future there are two very real possibilities that require no revolutionary invention:

1. Petrol cars get slowly banned or get higher taxes
    2. Electric cars get cheaper due to mass-production (mostly of batteries), an interesting analogy is that a smartphone would cost some 20k USD if only 100k were sold annually, but with 1,5 billion sold the price is quite different.
    Last edited by mknight; 28th November 2017 at 18:22.