Threaded View

Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    But ofc it is. This has lasted already for a while and is going to get worse. I was saying that full EV is not going to happen, probably ever.
    Thinking about motorsports and probably the next step in production vehicles Audi`s idea of an "EV" with a TFSI generaator comes into mind.
    I guess you are referring to this:

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...ar-rally-13440

In my view this is a very cunning arrangement, it keeps the EV enthusiasts happy while providing as much range as the engineers choose to design in. In any case, efficiency of this drivetrain will not be worse than pure electric drive train and electricity produced in a modern coal power plant. They can play with battery capacity so that it can still be called a BEV (in the eyes of the EV supporters), but overall energy source weight, i.e. batteries plus combustion engine, electric generator and fuel tank, is kept in check. All in all, Audi may once again be the rally(raid) groundbreakers as they were with 4WD. They can claim (irrespective if true or false), that as battery technology develops, the role of the combustion engine is gradually reduced in this series hybrid drivetrain. As I said, very cunning in my mind.

On the other subject, I fully agree with all of you that suggested FIA should drop the requirement for homologation coming from the manufacturers. It is correct that the profile of the series depends on them being present, but the entries can be boosted by private companies preparing cars on their own. Again, as it was mentioned, nothing to prevent these cars being road legal. And although finding the budgets to undertake such projects is not easy, companies whose bread and butter depends on it, will find a way.
    Last edited by NickRally; 11th January 2021 at 17:59.

2. Likes: Rally Power (12th January 2021)