Page 94 of 336 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    And yet, no deaths, not even a single reported injury. It's almost as if the actual numerical risk of standing close to the road on the inside of a corner or along a straight is hugely overstated... Every rally fan understood this until about 10 years ago. Then suddenly everybody got all safety-crazy, damn any consequences to the sport. Well actually, not everybody, mostly older guys who had already enjoyed the less safety-obsessed days and now look down from their little ivory tower onto those foolish kids who actually want to enjoy the sport exactly the same way their forebears did for decades.
    Every time I think I've read the silliest post but some of you guys are still able to amaze me.
    Last edited by AL14; 29th August 2017 at 12:53.

2. Likes: abxyz (30th August 2017),cali (29th August 2017),rhm (29th August 2017)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    taking selfies while not having your eyes on the car or the road is called enjoy the sport ??

let me tell you something kid... its those retarded low lifes to blame for the stupid worthless safety regulations we have now...
    Seems to me like the stupid worthless safety regulations we have now have literally nothing to do with those retarded low lifes, since none of them were reported dead or injured in recent years and yet the regulations keep piling on.

The one guy who died this year had a laser-like focus on the car as it clobbered him. Much good that did.

Call me silly all you want but nobody has any actual logical refutations to offer. Just more of the same "common wisdom". I need a beer.

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    The last picture really got me. As a driver you only have a few options in such a scenario. To make the car slide further to the right to avoid these dipshits one would have to accelerate if mid-corner believe it or not. Letting of of the gas or braking will cause the car to plow straight in and acceleration this late in the game would only cause a larger faster impact. I'm assuming these uneducated people moved out of the way to avoid the car or the car was already in the process of going wide in the corner. I would just stop the rally as a driver at this point... way too dangerous. Force the spectators to go home... rally canceled.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    And yet, no deaths, not even a single reported injury. It's almost as if the actual numerical risk of standing close to the road on the inside of a corner or along a straight is hugely overstated... .
    https://youtu.be/cX4626zluoo?t=10m55s
    https://youtu.be/cdHeIP5fMbE?t=16s

Two recent examples showing that the inside of a corner can be also dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://youtu.be/cX4626zluoo?t=10m55s
    https://youtu.be/cdHeIP5fMbE?t=16s

Two recent examples showing that the inside of a corner can be also dangerous.
    OK, so we're saying that the outside is dangerous, the straights are dangerous, and the inside is dangerous. So everything is dangerous, so what place is safe to spectate from? Like, where do you think this spectator safety crusade ends? Do you honestly believe that spectators will always be allowed to be present in one form or another? Do you think that in a few years' time they will still be allowed to help push cars out of the ditch/snowbank as they do now?

This mindless obsession with safety at any cost is just not good for the sport, that's the only point I'm really making. You guys think that pushing spectators further and further back and limiting spectator zones more and more only increases safety, but it has negative consequences too. Nobody wants to watch from those areas. So there's less interest from the fans, fewer new fans, and an overall decline in the popularity of the sport.

It's a tradeoff, and you can't pretend it isn't one.
    Last edited by sonnybobiche; 29th August 2017 at 14:47.

7. Likes: A FONDO (30th August 2017),b3637853 (30th August 2017)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    @sonnybobiche Which rally did you last spectate?

Do you think it's a good idea to take a selfie on the inside of a corner when a car is coming at you full speed?

9. Likes: pantealex (30th August 2017)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    @sonnybobiche Which rally did you last spectate?

Do you think it's a good idea to take a selfie on the inside of a corner when a car is coming at you full speed?
    probably in a sewage-country where the dream of every dog living there is to border jump into the US...

what do you expect from a person that has as a standard of safety that none died... evolution of every species is achieved through prevention of death... but for latin americans that feed on mud that is not the case it seems.

Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    probably in a sewage-country where the dream of every dog living there is to border jump into the US...

what do you expect from a person that has as a standard of safety that none died... evolution of every species is achieved through prevention of death... but for latin americans that feed on mud that is not the case it seems.
    I feed on bread, fyi, and there's no reason why an Argentine would "border jump" to the US.

You make a valid point and those people are clearly super ignorant, but there's no need to sling insults around, especially not when you generalize an entire continent, basically.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ah yes, all those great explorers and innovators that pushed Western civilization forward. How foolish of them not to know that it's actually safety, personal safety above all that's important! I'm American myself, but my parents were mud eaters and I spent some of my formative years eating mud, I suppose. One thing it did teach me is that it's perfectly possible to let people be responsible for their own lives. I have lots of faith in the ability of the common man to weigh risks and benefits for himself, and I have very little faith in the ability of the Mandarins to do it for him.

I don't understand how you rationalize the need for such nannyism today, given that everything was orders of magnitude less safe in the past, yet there was very little difference in terms of actual outcomes. I guess some people decide to switch off that rational part of their brain when they talk about safety. More important to just parrot what everyone else is saying.
    Last edited by sonnybobiche; 29th August 2017 at 16:02.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Ah yes, all those great explorers and innovators that pushed Western civilization forward. How foolish of them not to know that it's actually safety, personal safety above all that's important! I'm American myself, but my parents were mud eaters and I spent some of my formative years eating mud, I suppose. One thing it did teach me is that it's perfectly possible to let people be responsible for their own lives. I have lots of faith in the ability of the common man to weigh risks and benefits for himself, and I have very little faith in the ability of the Mandarins to do it for him.

I don't understand how you rationalize the need for such nannyism today, given that everything was orders of magnitude less safe in the past, yet there was very little difference in terms of actual outcomes. I guess some people decide to switch off that rational part of their brain when they talk about safety. More important to just parrot what everyone else is saying.
    Thats why people voted for Trump...

Everyone is responsible for their own lives yes but...

did you ask the driver if he wants to dismember those less than humans ?
    did you ask the tax payer or the rally organiser if he wants to pay for hospitalizing those less than humans ?
    did you ask the spectators if they would like to wait for hours on a cancelled stage ?
    did you ask the the rest of the spectators if they would be ok seeing 2 lifeless corpses on their outing to enjoy a rally ?

very few things in life have no consequences to other people as well... but being an ancestor of mud eaters i think its hard to understand.

14. Likes: AL14 (30th August 2017),AnttiL (29th August 2017),EightGear (29th August 2017),electroliquid (31st August 2017),EstWRC (29th August 2017),Rallyper (30th August 2017),steve.mandzij (29th August 2017),the sniper (30th August 2017)