I did the Run Road Atlanta 10K footrace this morning. I've done more than a thousand laps there in a race car, and a few touring laps on a motorcycle, but I've never been around the racing surface on foot before. The event was run counter race so that participants didn't have to run down the hill after the bridge turn. We started up near turn 3, ran a full lap plus, went into the pit lane, came out the pit entrance, went back down the start finish straight (this time in the correct direction), then back through the pit lane, out pit entrance, and back up under the bridge to do another lap counter race. Finish was the track's start/finish line.

To add a little motorsport flavor, they started us behind one of the Corvette pace cars. The starter asked us if we were ready to catch the pace car. I was thinking, was the pace car driver ready to drive six mph? He actually paced the overall winner the entire distance, for what had to be the slowest lap ever for a pace car.

Fun event, if you're within distance, I'd make it a point to do it if you can. If you're not a runner you may want to start with the 5K. Couch to 5K is one of the most widely used training plans for beginning runners: The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App