Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Helicopters

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    There were two for New York Airways back when they served buildings around New York City from the airport. And one for Chicago Helicopter Airways in 1960 when they used to provide service between Chicago's two airports.

Makes you realize how, for the passenger's experience, air travel's been going backwards for the last 40 years.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    A tragedy that is true but I am not about to get all girlie and cower in fear every time a chopper passes overhead.

I have always wanted to get a Helo License. Then make a boat load of money and buy one of these

Kaman Helicopters | KMAX Aerial Truck

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    There were two for New York Airways back when they served buildings around New York City from the airport. And one for Chicago Helicopter Airways in 1960 when they used to provide service between Chicago's two airports.

Makes you realize how, for the passenger's experience, air travel's been going backwards for the last 40 years.
    It must be said that inter-city, or cross-city, helicopter services have generally been a commercial blind alley.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Terrible accident. The crane driver was held up by his children and was about 10 minutes late for work and apparantly had just started climbing the crane when it was hit. How Lucky was he.

It was terribly foggy yesterday wasn't it, so a suprise he was flying maybe, but it must have been bad up there, because I believe they are meant to follow the rivers course, but he must have drifted slightly.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    I have always wanted to get a Helo License. Then make a boat load of money and buy one of these

Kaman Helicopters | KMAX Aerial Truck

A splendid machine. And available in a remotely-piloted version as well, of course.

Kaman's achievements have been remarkable, yet often unsung.

Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    It was terribly foggy yesterday wasn't it, so a suprise he was flying maybe, but it must have been bad up there, because I believe they are meant to follow the rivers course, but he must have drifted slightly.
    As it was a twin-engined helicopter, it didn't actually have to follow the designated London helicopter routes.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    As it was a twin-engined helicopter, it didn't actually have to follow the designated London helicopter routes.
    Interesting, pardon my ignorance of Helicopters but why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    Interesting, pardon my ignorance of Helicopters but why is that?
    Extra safety margin conferred by having two engines.

Extra safety margin conferred by having two engines.
    Thanks for the info.

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    It must be said that inter-city, or cross-city, helicopter services have generally been a commercial blind alley.
    It'd get between Midway and O'Hare ten times faster than any option that's existed since. 'Commercial viability' such as it is is what's been stagnating the industry for forty years. Concorde was the only attempt to break the mold and no one's bothered to follow up or improve. When Boeing decided on the 787 their other option was a small, fast plane. They played it safe to just make a lot of refinements to the existing paradigm. Jamb yourself into a shoebox for $350, get a little extra legroom for $1350, or for $13,500 get the equivalent of a 19th century Pullman compartment.