Page 59 of 227 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    That Matton is even mentioning in public that it is possible that Loeb COULD come back next year, must surely indicate they have talked about that possibility internally.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Loeb coming back fulltime would be great as a driver who could regular bring in pts, like 4th/5th places and a few podiums. Similar to what Sainz did in his later years.

Don't expect Loeb to come back and be able to fight for wins regularly, besides maybe Monte, Corsica and Germany etc, especially in the C3 with all its problems (even though the suspension will be totally overhauled and other changes made before 2018).

However I still don't see him coming back after so long away, unless he's happy to just enjoy the driving and settle with not being at the top of the time sheets. Meeke, Breen and Loeb is certainly a very good team on paper, with Breen and Loeb the reliable points scoring drivers and Meeke the one who will more regularly challenge for wins (along with crashing). The manufacturers title will be a big aim for Citroen so Matton has to get the driver line-up right and the car improved, or else he'll be out on his arse halfway through next year at the latest.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    A Loeb return is an interesting one. There are so many factors in play.

First off Citroen/Matton are really desperate here. To create the whole PSA Motorsport angle, very publicly announce Loeb's test, and then give away soundbites about him potentially doing rallies - that's going to do nothing but destabilize an already rocked trio of contracted drivers. As if having Mikkelsen do three rallies and taking their seat time wasn't bad enough!

Bringing in Loeb feels perhaps like something to appease the brand at board level. And 12 months too late if he's just testing the car. It also probably took a grovelling apology after the way Citroen treated Loeb at the end of his WTCC career.

Monte Carlo 2018 would be three years removed from his last competitive WRC outing. I'm just not sure how quick he'd be. I've no doubt like er88 said he'd be a steady pair of hands and score some decent points. But it's tough to expect him to pick up where he left off.

The other thing is whether Loeb would even want a full-time return? I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be stuck in WRX for the next five years, so I guess this could be pretty tempting. That said, is coming back and battling for 5th/6th with a questionable car going to do his legacy any good? He's certainly got nothing to prove, so maybe he doesn't mind about that. Maybe he'd be happy with a select programme of events. But how is running a 44 year old on a limited programme really solving any of Citroen's problems? It will likely just cause a distraction with all the fanfare Loeb will bring. Plus he's blocking the progress of their contracted drivers.

I'd love to see him back. I just don't see how it's really worth it for all parties involved.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

4. Likes: Adler (3rd August 2017),AnttiL (2nd August 2017),dimviii (2nd August 2017),er88 (3rd August 2017),Marcco (3rd August 2017),pantealex (3rd August 2017),spark13 (4th August 2017)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    I'd love to see him back. I just don't see how it's really worth it for all parties involved.
    No matter how he ends it will be a huge "positive" PR for Citroen in France and elsewhere. I think they kind of need it after Ogier being in the headlines for 4 years and now Ogier and Neuville (french speaking).

Otherwise I agree with what you wrote.

6. Likes: pantealex (3rd August 2017),Simmi (2nd August 2017)
    Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
    Citroen management seem to be running their WRT like Trump running the White House these days.
    Doesn't seem to matter how bad a job you are doing as long as you are grabbing headlines.....
    All this is to distract from the fact that the car is rubbish.
    I suppose no manufacturer wants to pay millions for the world to think they can't build a car right....

8. Likes: steve.mandzij (3rd August 2017)
    Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Loeb would bring solid points every event to Citroën, something Meeke and Lefebvre don't. I understand why they would turn to Loeb since how desperate Citroën's situation is, rock bottom is just not what they expected and came for.

10. Likes: AnttiL (3rd August 2017),pantealex (3rd August 2017)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    I'm sure having Loeb test the car is a good move as he does have experience of cars with active centre diffs, and was pretty handy at driving them.
    As for him driving events, only he knows if he has the motivation for a full season again, but I wouldn't bet against him being quick enough if he is motivated enough.
    I have no idea how the budgets work for this new PSA Motorsport, but the fact that Loeb is already on the PSA payroll must be appealing....Ogier would be an additional expense as Loeb would still be in the PSA group one way or another next year.

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    I don't remember any rally champ coming back at later time, and being equally fast as in his best years.
    Even 5th or 6th looks to high to me.
    I guess Citroen just need somebody who can find out what's wrong with that car.

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    I guess Citroen just need somebody who can find out what's wrong with that car.
    I am pretty sure they know what is wrong with that car, there is just so little they can do about it right now.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

14. Likes: dimviii (3rd August 2017),pantealex (3rd August 2017),TWRC (3rd August 2017)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJippo View Post
    I am pretty sure they know what is wrong with that car, there is just so little they can do about it right now.
    That could be the case and it raises a question: if the issues are fundamental, can a few joker parts fix the car?

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...-for-2018-wrc/ So, Loeb might compete next year...
    Matton’s words have little value nowadays, but his recent comment about Meeke being in all 2018 rallys and the other two guys having to share a car makes some sense if Loeb returns half time. But probably during next week Matton will come out and say something different...

Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    I haven`t heard the Al-Qassimi interview
    Here: http://www.auto-moto.com/actualite/s...52.html#item=1
    By clicking on WRC (above Qassimi’s name) one gets all interviews.
    Rally addict since 1982