Page 15 of 227 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    I remember hearing back in the days, that the c4 was faster than the focus, but much more difficult to drive. That it required the super smooth loeb style to make it go fast without crashing. The ford seemed easier and more forgiving.

Perhaps citroen has build a new car like this, but doesn't have the right driver for it.

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    there's clear logic in this: Meeke didn't contest in Poland last year, but Breen and Lefebvre did, and set some decent times there. Meanwhile, it also makes sense to put Mikkelsen in one of the cars, because he won the event last year.

My own idea is that perhaps Citroen's budget is running out and they cannot afford anymore crashes? We must remember that in addition to Meeke's rolls, Lefebvre has had a crash of some sort in all his events of this year. Maybe that's why Mikkelsen was so cautious, he was told to make sure the car finishes? or he was promised a new drive if he finishes?
    Mikkelsen is used to teamorders that says; drive to finish, get km to learn car and rallies from hos first years at VW motorsport 2.
    Driving @ 90-95% is an art as well as getting up to 100 when needed or allowed.

Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    While I feel bad for Meeke, it seems to me that Citroen are the architects of their own demise. A little like Mitsubishi in the mid to late 90s, when you have an entire team and car built around one driver,and his driving style, it's bound to fall apart when that driver leaves. Look at the struggles Delecour and A. McRae had with the Lancer after Makinen left Mitsubishi. It's almost always ominous when you hear that a particular car needs a particular driving style. Citroen will take a while to recover from the Loeb era.

4. Likes: AnttiL (13th June 2017),macebig (13th June 2017)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS007 View Post
    While I feel bad for Meeke, it seems to me that Citroen are the architects of their own demise. A little like Mitsubishi in the mid to late 90s, when you have an entire team and car built around one driver,and his driving style, it's bound to fall apart when that driver leaves. Look at the struggles Delecour and A. McRae had with the Lancer after Makinen left Mitsubishi.
    Partially true. The Lancer WRC wasn't that good for Mäkinen either, but Freddy Loix said he was totally lost in the Lancer Evo with Mäkinen's settings. Dunno how Burns managed it though.

I remember that even in the Group A days, Timo Salonen said he couldn't drive the Galant in 1991 1000 Lakes Rally with the type of front diff Kenneth Eriksson had set up. Salonen had driven a lot of RWD cars and Eriksson had driven a lot of FWD cars so they had a very different driving style

Liked 12,164 Times in 5,216 Posts
    very good blog post about this situation IMO http://www.worldrallyblog.com/2017/0...ht-way-things/

like i also said some pages back, it wont do any better for Meeke.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

7. Likes: KKS (15th June 2017)
    Liked 1,446 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    very good blog post about this situation IMO http://www.worldrallyblog.com/2017/0...ht-way-things/

Yeo, and look how it turned out for Malcolm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    What´s the problem adapting a car after different driving styles? Don´t understand the discussion regarding cars that are undriveable for all drivers except one.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

10. Likes: dimviii (13th June 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts

I don't agree with that blog post.
    Duval was driving at ok speed after he got back, stable and with 3-4 place speed. It seemed that the decision was already made.
    Meeke has been crashing for quite long and was in similar situation in 2014 when he wasn't dropped.

Note that quite often Wilson's successes actually come from dropping drivers for a season. I.e. Evans last year, Tanak in 2013 etc. NOT from keeping them crashing in same car.
    The examples given for not pulling mid-season are also often not valid. Say Østberg last year had extremely good first half of the season, so why would you drop him in the middle of it? Tanak in 2012 started crashing in the second half. etc.
    Last edited by mknight; 13th June 2017 at 10:44.

12. Likes: Rally Power (13th June 2017)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Meeke is going to 40, he drives since Colin McRae era. You can do all you want, make him miss events, or give support and trust, he will not change his driving style.
    I don't think that Matton is doing this to help Meeke, I think he is thinking of future and wants to give more space possible to Mikkelsen, especially in the development of the car.

The point is that in my opinion he made a mistake at the beginning of the season saying "if Mikkelsen and Latvala call me I will answer only because I am polite". He didn't see this coming and maybe he should...

14. Likes: EstWRC (13th June 2017),sonnybobiche (13th June 2017)
    Liked 559 Times in 242 Posts

Then what should Matton do? Let him keep crashing brand new cars on every event like he did in Sardinia, and hope for a change somewhere down the road? And yes, as much as I like Meeke, if he's not mentally strong enough to get back from this, then questionmarks can rightfully be raised over his future.

16. Likes: Rally Power (13th June 2017)