Page 133 of 227 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2266

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post

Lets hope Meeke finds a ride and Citroen stays.
    Here are a couple of questions for you:

1. Do you really want Meeke to stay at the expense of some other driver?
    Example Tidemand will not get a place in 2019 cause he stays. Suninen does not get to drive more than few rounds because of this.... or as we have seen this year Breen does not get all rounds?

2. Did Meeke staying in Citroen during first half of 2018 directly contribute to them (possibly) leaving?

Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    I would ring P Tidemand if I were Citroen boss. Potential in the man!

Or maybe Lucky the Russian, he has top speed, and are starting to finish rallyes.
    Last edited by Gordini; 24th May 2018 at 23:47.

Liked 208 Times in 109 Posts
    Lets hope no one else has a crash in a Citroen this year, better just drive round and keep it nice and tidy , we don't want anyone having a crash trying to get those vital few seconds that could lift you up the leaderboard.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    I don't know..I read this:
    some of which were particularly heavy and could have had serious consequences with regard to the crew’s safety, and given that the risks involved were unjustified by the sporting stakes at play,

And it seems pretty reasonable...

And as much as deify his early mentor McRae as beyond any and all criticism one reason I had little respect for him was he also crashed many times when the risks involved were unjustified by the sporting stakes at play

I have seen factory riders in my old sport leading home World Championship, a clear win in the bag, crash into the back of a guy he was lapping, crash into him when there was no other traffic, no pressure from the man in 2nd, sandy surface with at least 4 other clear lines..I was standing by the Team manager..You could hear his teeth crack.. That rider was dropped the following year.. I know the guy and he just kept swearing about the rider he rammed. Years later.

I knew 2 importer supported "works" riders who were playing on little Honda mini-bikes who both crashed stupidly and one injured a knee he already had chronic problems..Both dropped.. "Their job is to win nationals, they can't do that with casts on their legs, they didn't do what they were paid to do"

Another, Willi Bauer, factory rider in 250 World Championship..Hired to win and generate positive press.. He won the title but on points, and didn't win an individual Grand Prix the entire season...Dropped..(and tragically crashed and was paralyzed the following year.)

These are just firings that I know and people I know...

Who knows what has gone on behind the scenes?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

5. Likes: Rally Power (25th May 2018),Rallyper (25th May 2018),TWRC (25th May 2018)
    Liked 1,504 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Though it was a very bad incident, there weren't any pictures. These days with social media its pictures that go around the world. Pictures like...

The fact the driver was ok and saved by the car isnt seen, it just looks like 'Citroen's crash and then look like this ...'
    My comment was about "if any spectators was hurt - it was destroyed a brand". Spectator was dead after Huyndais out and they didn't have a destroyed brand after that.

Liked 1,521 Times in 654 Posts
    Does this news give anyone else the impression that Citroen are actually staying in the WRC beyond 2018? To me, if they were finishing at the end of the season, they'd have just kept Meeke. Dropping him now could be with the intention that they use the rest of this season (a write off anyway Championship wise) to prepare for next year. Alternatively of course, they maybe just literally can't afford the amount of damage/write-offs Meeke could cause in the remaining seven rounds in his current form, with their budget situation.

I don't buy into the theory that Meeke crashing was bad publicity for Citroen cars. Was McRae crashing in the 90s considered bad publicity for Subaru/Ford/Martini? He created some of the most iconic imagery and biggest publicity in rallying, or even motorsport history! Though obviously not to the same extent, Meeke's antics, his 'win or bust' style have brought in plenty of publicity. Look at Mexico 2017. Can anyone honestly envisage Mads putting in any kind of performance, good or bad, this year that'll be overly noticeable? What would be better publicity wise, Meeke possibly winning one or two of the remaining rounds, while crashing out of the rest, or Mads finishing 5th in every rally...?

The safety argument seems like a hollow one to me, an excuse to make it look like the team are saving him rather than shafting him... You can't vaunt how safe the car is and then drop him because it's not safe for him to continue in it.

Going forward, it's hard to see where they go from here, with Loeb still insisting that he won't come back full time. There are few overly attractive alternative options at this time, which makes the untimely (though eventually inevitable) dropping of Meeke more surprising. I think if I were Budar, I'd be looking to sign up Suninen for next year, as he at least has bit of a mix of some WRC experience and future potential. If Lefebvre ends up back in the car we've got to assume that they're not taking the WRC seriously anymore...

8. Likes: er88 (25th May 2018)
    Liked 12,153 Times in 5,211 Posts
    i would really love to see Kris in another car, in m-sport for example, how would he do there?...if he still would crash, well then....

Mads sayin in norwgian media that the team has contacted him and they are talking things through.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 25th May 2018 at 08:53.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Though it was a very bad incident, there weren't any pictures. These days with social media its pictures that go around the world. Pictures like...

The fact the driver was ok and saved by the car isnt seen, it just looks like 'Citroen's crash and then look like this ...'
    What are you on about, the Paddon Monte 17 crash was everywhere in social media, with plenty of pictures and video (unfortunately), and "these days" - it was 1.5 years ago not in the 90's!

Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    PR fuckup for Citroen.
    For Meeke, he couldn't pick where he went off. He did nothing worse than Paddon, Ogier, Latvala etc,, on that rally. It just so happened a tree was there.
    If you really analysis Meeke performances.. he has had a combination of bad luck, undriveable car, which caused accidents, and some badly timed mistakes of his own. He was trying to tell the engineers that was something fundamental wrong with the car, but it wasnt his job to find out what it was. It took Mikkelson saga, and Loeb test to validate Meeke.
    The management are still stuck in the Loeb era, but not with the budget, its a fraction of what they were spending during that era.
    Loeb came in with nothing to loose, and was thowing the kitchen table at it, went off trying, and was getting trounced by a novice Fin driving a Toyota, in Corsica.
    That tells your where they are with the C3
    The only thing they had up their sleeve, was odd win of tarmac, now even that chance has gone.
    The car was a still away behind in development, and this latest geometry upgrade, only has given them a base to work from, where they should have been 18 months ago .
    The suspension, or lack thereof, make the car susceptible to punctures... count the number of punctures Citroen Racing drivers have had this year, vs other team
    Citroen will only be a privateer team next year, i'll 99% guarantee it, with Juoki drivers or rich kids.
    to be honest, I think Meeke comes out of this in a better light that Citroen
    I'd love to see Meeke in GB or Finland in a Toyota........
    Last edited by wrc2017; 25th May 2018 at 09:25.

12. Likes: AndyRAC (25th May 2018),er88 (25th May 2018)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    PR fuckup for Citroen.
    For Meeke, he couldn't pick where he went off. He did nothing worse than Paddon, Ogier, Latvala etc,, on that rally. It just so happened a tree was there.
    If you really analysis Meeke performances.. he has had a combination of bad luck, undriveable car, which caused accidents, and some badly timed mistakes of his own. He was trying to tell the engineers that was something fundamental wrong with the car, but it wasnt his job to find out what it was. It took Mikkelson saga, and Loeb test to validate Meeke.
    The management are still stuck in the Loeb era, but not with the budget, its a fraction of what they were spending during that era.
    Or to put it in other words: Meeke had a chance of a lifetime with the C3 and he blew it. Getting sacked doesn't mean you're bad at your job, but that you have failed to match the expectations. And that's exactly what Meeke did. I don't think there's denying that. And ofcourse there's always more to the story, I hope everyone understands it's not only about Meeke. Sure Citroen WRT and its management has made poor decisions as well, but as has been said before, something obviously had to be done and Meeke, with his performances, basically offered himself to be sacrificed. And for that there's only Kris himself to blame.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

14. Likes: BleAivano (25th May 2018),gorganl2000 (25th May 2018),JTGANG (25th May 2018),pantealex (25th May 2018),Rally Power (25th May 2018),TWRC (25th May 2018)