Page 17 of 227 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Good post Rally power. I've said it before and I will say it again, Matton did not help the situation from the very start of the year by saying the goal was rally wins, not championships.
    In Meeke, that have a driver who's mindset seems to be very much win it or bin it. While someone said in response to my original post stating the above, that Matton probably did not mean what he said, or at least not at the beginning of the year, it just gives the public the impression that Kris has his blessing to go flat out all the time.

I also said near the start of the season that the c3 is not quite there yet. Kris is the only driver that has shown rally winning, and consistent stage winning pace in it. He has been foolish, he has also been unlucky.
    Breen has shown a good consistent pace but that is top five pace, not rally leading pace. Lefebvre has shown fuck all. Mikkelsen could only manage 8th in Italy. Yes, he hasn't driven the car much at all, but he has had plenty of seat time in a 17' spec car, and was soundly beaten by Lappi. He also said that the c3 was quite difficult to drive. It didn't seem to take much time for him to get the best out of the skoda, so something isn't right with the car, in my opinion.

Yes, I am a fan of Meekes, but you are quite right when you say he needs to change his approach.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    To elude Meeke driving issues (like Brit rally journos do) won't help Meeke at all. After his Argentina collapse, Evans, Clark and the other guys should have made a public wake-up call, asking Meeke for a different approach, instead of just keep pointing at the car troubles (with crappy stories like the ‘bring Sainz to help’ one).

Btw, Matton was more than loyal to Meeke; he gave him the leader driver role, despite Meeke's irregular past, and delayed as much as he could a change on the line up. Italy was the reality check moment. Let's just hope Meeke can learn from it.
    Are you suggesting internet drama and armchair experts will hurt him?

3. Likes: steve.mandzij (13th June 2017)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sladden View Post
    Are you suggesting internet drama and armchair experts will hurt him?
    Nope. I’m referring to the rally journos (from Autosport, WRC radio, etc) that didn’t dare to say the obvious: with the ‘all or nothing’ driving approach, Meeke’s WRC future was becoming at risk. Sadly, it is now.
    Rally addict since 1982

5. Likes: WUff1 (14th June 2017)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Good post Rally power. I've said it before and I will say it again, Matton did not help the situation from the very start of the year by saying the goal was rally wins, not championships.
    Matton said this first after Corsica afaik.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Matton said this first after Corsica afaik.
    Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Wrong

Found the article, after corsica
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report...818.1478205931

""At the start of the year, there was a strategy and a bit of plan about how to go about things, but that's gone now.

"It's just about winning rallies."

So timing is right, but it's Meeke who says it himself.

But Matton also said goal is rally wins before start of the season:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report...818.1478205931

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Well, I read at start of season from somewhere Matton's aim for this year was to win rallies, and aim for championships in 2018. He then reiterated this as you say after Corsica. Now, whether he actually meant it at the start of the season is different, having taken a year out to focus on this years car I find it hard to believe they did not have one eye on fighting for a championship.
    After Corsica I believe the mentality fell in line more with Matton's words. Therefore, a driver who has the ability to win pretty much any rally will try to do just that, and as we see this can end in either tears or glory.

Liked 1,505 Times in 894 Posts
    Colin Clark point of view
    https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrall...73277432834922

And my prediction for Poland:
    or 1. Mikkelsen drive safe to bring car to the finish and will be beaten by Breen by a 5 min or so
    or 2. He try to go fast and crash.

All 2 ways keep good news for Meeke

Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    Colin Clark point of view
    https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrall...73277432834922

And my prediction for Poland:
    or 1. Mikkelsen drive safe to bring car to the finish and will be beaten by Breen by a 5 min or so
    or 2. He try to go fast and crash.

All 2 ways keep good news for Meeke
    Noted, I think it will be precisely between the two options.

He will be fast on some stages, but generally not that fast and end up just behind Breen.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Tell you what, if Andreas isn't setting at least very competitive top 4/5 times in Poland and getting progressively faster as the rally goes on, Citroen are fucked. Matton too, seeing as I bet this was his last roll of the dice before his own head is on the chopping block. He's put faith in a driver who would rather be in anyone of the other three teams, and possibly alienated Meeke who up till now is the only driver close to taming that car and producing rally winning speed in it. Interesting times, and don't be surprised if the Arab money winds up at Msport next year, leaving an even bigger hole in the budget. Not difficult to see which team would give a better return on big investment right now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk