Page 7 of 227 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugwrx View Post
    where is he leaving ?
    That is the question. I hope Ford are not gambling on it because the guy knows what he's worth and according to Wilson M-Sport won't be able to afford that without backing from Ford for another year. I guess he would go to Citroen if Ford doesn't pay up.

It's really silly they wouldn't even have to invest THAT much. Just pay his wages and make sure M-Sport have enough dough to keep the Fiesta at a similar level as the i20. But they miserably failed before when Sainz and McRae were forced to leave because of late decisions in 2002 and then Märtin and Duval in 2004. Ford have some real slow people in their offices. Also look at the crashing and burning of the F1 Jaguar project. They always have huge potential, invest too little too late and make a complete faff of it.
    Last edited by Watson; 11th June 2017 at 19:16.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Question is if Andreas thinks the same. Probably yes for this year, but for next?
    He probably isn't in a position to dictate...

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Would a Reiger set-up be a bolt on solution, that the team could put on a test mule to compare differences with current dampers?
    Or would they need to adjust anything mechanically on the car?
    To pin the Citroën handling issues on Öhlins is in my opinion wrong.
    Then you need to know how a damper manufacturer works for a works team.
    Öhlins can build Citroën any damper they want.

Its obvious that the Citroën is a very fast rally car. But its also obvious that it has a narrow operating window, or a small envelope. Andreas performance - or lack of - showed that in Sardinia.

What causes this is - in my mind - is not just a "couple of clicks" or "a set of Reigers" away to be fixed, but something more fundamental.

This can be a design strategy, this can be a damper strategy, it can be geometry, it can be many things. But one thing is for sure, is thats its not an easy fix.
    But on the other hand, Citroën Sport has some of the Worlds best engineers, so they have a good chance.

I think Andreas drive in Citroën was very important, and (even though I thought he would fight at the top at once) I must give him credit for having the big balls that is needed to drive within your comfort zone. That takes some real guts.
    But this is important, because now Citroën can see what a top of the level driver - that comes from the best modern WRC car - will think of the Citroën. And that gives Citroën something to work on from.

Kris Meeke is a hell of a fast driver, and is - like his Irish and British speed colleagues that has just finished this years Isle Of Man TT - willing to lay his neck on the line every time. When you have an attitude that would bacically mean that you would drive a even a wheel barrow fast (and have a reputation for crashing) that can mean that you camouflage problems - so the engineers dont know how big they are.
    And when your two other drivers are young (though in Breens case very, very talented), they dont have the experience to say what is good and what is not. They have no bench mark.

Bringing Andreas in is the logical solution, and in my mind that would mean Lefebvre would sit on the bench. He needs a lot more development before he is ready to tackle the WRC, and the trio Andreas, Meeke, and Breen would be very good.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

4. Likes: belas (11th June 2017),BigWorm (11th June 2017),br21 (12th June 2017),er88 (11th June 2017),EstWRC (11th June 2017),Lead (11th June 2017),Mirek (11th June 2017),mknight (11th June 2017),pantealex (12th June 2017),smokingjoe (12th June 2017),Sulland (11th June 2017),TWRC (12th June 2017)
    Mikkelsen to replace Meeke in Poland!!! WOW!!!

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts

Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    Hard to see the logic.. for me this shows what a mess Citroen are in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Mikkelsen to replace Meeke in Poland!!! WOW!!!

Liked 9,311 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Meeke dropped for Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    Hard to see the logic.. for me this shows what a mess Citroen are in.
    Totally agree. Yes, the results have been disastrous, but it's really hard to see the advantage of running Lefebvre instead of Meeke under any conditions.

10. Likes: steve.mandzij (11th June 2017),WRC1 (11th June 2017),WUff1 (12th June 2017)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quite drastic for Meeke. But maybe he needs some change of mind.

EDIT: The last 3 rallies he was told to just focus on single events and crashed 4 times in them. Surely it's not a good idea to continue like that?

4 days of testing sound like a very good idea. It also confirms what Lundefaret wrote above, they need some other input to improve the car. This is confirmed by the fact that Meeke is not to take part in the test.

12. Likes: Sulland (11th June 2017)
    Liked 9,311 Times in 4,938 Posts
    #M-SPORTER