Page 134 of 227 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 2266

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 311 Times in 117 Posts
    Even with the greatest possible empathy and respect for Chris Meeke, a decision became imperative. What would be the reactions if a fatal outcome had occurred? It's sad, but the last images of Portugal were scary. Best for Chris and Paul, especially alive.
    "C'est une triste chose de songer que la nature parle et que le genre humain n'écoute pas" (Victor Hugo)

Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Or to put it in other words: Meeke had a chance of a lifetime with the C3 and he blew it. Getting sacked doesn't mean you're bad at your job, but that you have failed to match the expectations. And that's exactly what Meeke did. I don't think there's denying that. And ofcourse there's always more to the story, I hope everyone understands it's not only about Meeke. Sure Citroen WRT and its management has made poor decisions as well, but as has been said before, something obviously had to be done and Meeke, with his performances, basically offered himself to be sacrificed. And for that there's only Kris himself to blame.
    maybe.. but i failed to see anyone else doing any better.

Mikkelson, Otsberg, Breen.. or even Loeb... failed (hard facts it Meeke outscored Loeb over his tow outings, while trying to keep in championship contention)
    No other top level driver in the their right mind, would now want to drive a Citroen....
    #1 because the car is below par
    #2 the management

What will probably go down in WRC history, its that Meeke was the only one to win in a C3 WRC.

3. Likes: AndyRAC (25th May 2018),er88 (25th May 2018)
    Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    I think everyone agrees that:
    a) Meeke had it coming
    b) Citroen is in a bit of a PR nightmare with their timing

Also that no one expected Meeke to be sacked now. Maybe during the mid-summer break would had been better for the team.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

5. Likes: AnttiL (25th May 2018),juhoman (1st June 2018),mknight (25th May 2018),pantealex (25th May 2018),TWRC (25th May 2018)
    Liked 64 Times in 36 Posts
    I'm very sad for Kris. He is a great driver but with a lot of crashes. Pure McRae spirit. Too 90's for Citroën and Pierre Budar. Now, we will not hear something about Citroën in WRC with their "awesome" line-up.
    And also, Loeb will not return for a full champ: https://www.lemagsportauto.com/entre...en-loeb/32201/

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    maybe.. but i failed to see anyone else doing any better.

Mikkelson, Otsberg, Breen.. or even Loeb... failed
    That's true, statistically, but none of the mentioned drivers were expected to deliver what Meeke was. That's the difference here.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

8. Likes: pantealex (25th May 2018)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    TBH although disappointing it’s not surprising.

At some point it’s not just bad luck & you have to review where & why things keep going wrong and learn a lesson.

Given Meeke's response post-event I’m not convinced this was happening.

Liked 76 Times in 38 Posts
    Kris definitely has the speed, but I think because the C3 was so difficult to drive, he was many times over the limit to compensate. I think the writing has been on the wall for a while, and although Citroens timing is strange i am not surprised by the outcome.
    I would like to see Kris in a competitive WRC car, perhaps just to put the record straight, but there are so many younger drivers challenging for seats, I don't think it will happen.
    I think Kris has paid the ultimate price for his efforts at Citroen,and maybe his ambition will now not be realised.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

12. Likes: Allez Andruet (25th May 2018),danon (25th May 2018),EstWRC (25th May 2018),gheeD (25th May 2018),juhoman (1st June 2018),Marcco (28th May 2018),mknight (25th May 2018),pantealex (25th May 2018),sindroms (25th May 2018),TWRC (25th May 2018)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [WRCRR] View Post
    What are you on about, the Paddon Monte 17 crash was everywhere in social media, with plenty of pictures and video (unfortunately), and "these days" - it was 1.5 years ago not in the 90's!
    There is basically one picture of Paddon's undamaged car on its side in the dark. That wasnt going to be something that everyone would share.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    That's true, statistically, but none of the mentioned drivers were expected to deliver what Meeke was. That's the difference here.
    Actually it is not fully true. (apart from the fact that there is no Mikkelson or Otsberg in WRC)

Breen has better result this year than Meeke (2nd vs 3rd).
    Mikkelsen beat Meeke on both rallies where they raced together (Sardinia - even snail pace was enough to get points and beat Meeks crash, Germany he got second, Meeke got nothing due to crash again + technical, but this time Mikkelsen was also faster than him in 9 out of 13 stages and led him by over a minute in driving time).

Loeb was ahead of Meeke both times when he had puncture and off and beat him on both PS. "Loeb was getting beaten by Lappi in Corsica", he was on Saturday and Sunday + PS, but so was everyone else! Ohh and Lappi crashed causing a puncture in the process

Østberg again beat Meeke on both rallies they raced together in same car (was a lot due to circumstances yes)

--------------
    If anything, the 2nd places of Breen + Mikkelsen and Loeb's speed had debunked the idea that "only Meeke can drive C3 fast".
    Yes only Meeke did win with it. 2 times in 18 rallies, Mikkelsen drove 3, Loeb and Østberg 2, Breen 14 but before C3 his best results was a single 3rd place.

-----------------
    Everyone understands that the crash in Portugal was really just the last drop/excuse for Citroen leadership.

However, there was a major difference compared with Ogier, Latvala, Tanak or Paddon. Those guys crashed when they were in real fights, 2 of them while leading the rally.

Meeke crashed when he was 40s behind Østberg and getting beaten by him in stagetimes (Lappi's penalty was registered first on Sunday). At that point he had nothing to fight for and the crash was completely unnecessary.

15. Likes: Rally Power (25th May 2018)